mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Replacement Rings for SRAM S-2200 Cranks?

My 2011 Stumpy FSR 29er needs new chain rings and the price for the OEM rings is crazy. Are there any other options available yet for this crank? I'm about to ditch this crankset because of the $70 cost for a single ring. This is crazy stupid money for one ring, IMO.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Ain't it a 104BCD? Tons of people make em...

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They're 104 bcd and yes, you would think replacements that shift well would be easy to find. That's what I thought. I talked with Blackspire (Charley, I believe) and he said that particular crank has shifting issues if you use anything other than SRAM rings. Something about thickness of the rings themselves & the spacing between the large & small rings if I understood him correctly.

He also told me that Blackspire doesn't make rings for this crankset and won't for some time. What gives? I tried a 34t FSA ring (ramped & pinned) to replace the original 33t ring and it shifts like crap.

I must be missing something. I know this isn't rocket science and I've replaced dozens of chainrings in 12 years or riding & wrenching w/o encountering such an issue.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot View Post
    They're 104 bcd and yes, you would think replacements that shift well would be easy to find. That's what I thought. I talked with Blackspire (Charley, I believe) and he said that particular crank has shifting issues if you use anything other than SRAM rings. Something about thickness of the rings themselves & the spacing between the large & small rings if I understood him correctly.

He also told me that Blackspire doesn't make rings for this crankset and won't for some time. What gives? I tried a 34t FSA ring (ramped & pinned) to replace the original 33t ring and it shifts like crap.

I must be missing something. I know this isn't rocket science and I've replaced dozens of chainrings in 12 years or riding & wrenching w/o encountering such an issue.
    That's a bit hard to understand. Spacing between the rings is only an issue if you are outside of the FD movement window, which for a 2-speed isn't an issue.

Thickness of the rings won't affect shifting performance.

Tooth profile certainly can affect shifting performance. You need to make sure that the chain rings are 10-speed and OK for the chain you are running. As there is general compatibility between KMC, SRAM and Shimano in 10-speed, I also wouldn't expect this to be a problem with any vendor selling 10-speed chain rings.

I assume the original rings are not X-Glide? Certainly replacing an X-Glide ring for a non-X-glide ring will cause a loss of performance. I went to X-Glide (4 ramps) from non X-Glide (2) and the performance improvement was notable. X-Glide can use more ramps due to the fact that the step between the rings is fixed and so the chain links will "fit" between the small and large rings on shifting up and down. Hence only available in a fixed ratio (28/42, 26/39).

mtbr member
    Here's a couple of options that might work for you. My '11 stumpy elite lists the same crank, rings may be different sizes though. Universal Cycles -- Sram XO & X.9 Chainring Sets with Guard (GXP)
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    why not just get the SRAM rings and not worry about shifting issues or compatibly?

Is saving a few bucks really worth the hassle?

Finally stateside again
    i will sell you mine

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    why not just get the SRAM rings and not worry about shifting issues or compatibly?

Is saving a few bucks really worth the hassle?
    You are absolutely correct. And I will probably bend over at some point. I'm just an old fart who can't see why any chainring should cost more than $45

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    i will sell you mine
    PM sent

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm having the same issue on one of my epics. I have a medium frame 2012 that I swaped out with the XO 22-36 and it worked fine. However, on my wifes small frame it doesn't fit. Maybe because it only comes in GXP and not BB30?

I can't find any 104BCD X-glide rings.

mtbr member
    On my 2011 SJ Elite I swapped the 38t for a 36t. I used a Truvativ 36t with the 104bcd spacing and I have had zero issues for nearly 2 years. The ring cost under $30.

mtbr member
    any SRAM X0 compatible chainring will fit these cranks as that is what they are, just they don't have an X0 logo on them!!
    2013 Specialized Endruo Expert Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a brand new set of XO takeoff rings along with the spider. Never had a chain on them. Switched them out to run a 1x10 MRP bling ring. Pm if interested.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd