mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Replacement Cranks/BB

Am seriously considering upgrading my entire crankset after an ominous grinding noise has started eminating from the bottom bracket area.

I was looking at Race Face Atlas cranks, but don't kow much about the durability of the X-type system or even if the Atlas is overkill on my 2004 Enduro seeing as I'm not exactly the heaviest hitting rider.

Does anyone have any experience with Race Face cranksets?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJMatthes
    Am seriously considering upgrading my entire crankset after an ominous grinding noise has started eminating from the bottom bracket area.

I was looking at Race Face Atlas cranks, but don't kow much about the durability of the X-type system or even if the Atlas is overkill on my 2004 Enduro seeing as I'm not exactly the heaviest hitting rider.

Does anyone have any experience with Race Face cranksets?
    You'll get better responses on the "Everything Drivetrain" board http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/

I've never owned RaceFace, but after researching parts/speaking to a few good LBS in order to build my ultimate bike, I looked first to the Atlas and didn't find reason in the end to go with them over XT cranks (although they look the best no doubt), if anything I heard XT was the best gram for gram stiff, reliable, and solid shifting crank out there. Basically, I gave into the fact it seemed Shimano was the way to go on the drive side of things (not including derailluers/shifters where XO seems to have ascended to have possibly ascended to the throne).

I'm not doubtful you wouldn't be way satisfied if you got them though.

-kcavt

mtbr member

PS - I should have said look at Shimano Saint, not XT for the comparsion to RF Atlas

should have added that