Turn off the TV

replace bearings stout front hub

How do I get the (dust cap?) off? trying to replace bearings as they are becoming loose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well first with the stout hub I have found the bearings can seem loose b/c the skewer that comes with it is total garbage. Sorry if this seems stupid but I learned the hard way, make sure the skewer is on pretty tight! If it really is the bearings id just toss the hub in the garbage and buy one that works imho!

mtbr member

Mr. Freeride got it right

Quote Originally Posted by MTBFreerideCT
    Well first with the stout hub I have found the bearings can seem loose b/c the skewer that comes with it is total garbage. Sorry if this seems stupid but I learned the hard way, make sure the skewer is on pretty tight! If it really is the bearings id just toss the hub in the garbage and buy one that works imho!

These things are garbage, even if the bearings are good, replace it with anything that does not have the skaxle(sp?)

Turn off the TV
    Thanks but it's been fine for 3 years for me. why would the skewer make a difference it compresses just like the thin solid ones. At any rate, does any one know how to change the bearings. I'm sure its much cheaper than replacing the hub and having it laced to the wheel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just use force to pull the dust caps off. Then remove bearings (one each side) with a rod and a hammer. Note that you must push the rod against the hub insides to expose a ridge under the bearings. Then go to a bearing shop with the old bearings or write down the markings on them. I replaced mine with SKF branded ones.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Only recently I started having problems with the axle developing play after a ride. Make sure the nuts on the sides on the hub are tightened properly. I didn't have a closer look, but if I hand-tighten the nut on the right (my QR-lever is also on the right) and then fasten the QR tight it's okay for a while.

Also no problems with the bearings, still running fine after 3 years.