mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Repairing brain shock with S-Tune or replace with 11'-13' FSR Brain shock?

Hello all,

The Brain shock has failed on my 11' SJ FSR Expert 29'er that I have only put about 100 miles on in the last year that I have owned it. I like the bike overall as a backup, but issues with it like not getting full travel, small bump sensitivity, and it being a bit big for me have always prevented it from being ridden much versus my other bikes.

I was considering selling it just last week and now the Brain has gone out. I feel like this might be a good opportunity to breath new life into the bike by using the 'S-tune' for the shock and have it set to my 220 lbs clyde weight or get a new 13' Brain shock (if at all possible). Then again maybe I should just have all the maintenance done and sell it soon... I'll be dropping the bike off tomorrow and having a chat with the service department over my options.

I read in a thread here that the 13' has ~6 smooth turns versus the 12 progressively stiff turns mine has and that they refined the performance a good bit. I'm definitely interested in keeping it if it can be updated and may go with the BG Fit for good measure.

Can anyone compare the 11', 12', and 13' Trail tuned brain shocks for me so I have a heads up as to what to go with if the shop allows me to choose one?

I would appreciate any insight that can be provided to my situation.
    Last edited by Art.C; 11-26-2012 at 08:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quick update

Received my bike back from Fox and things are great. It took three weeks and went for a fair price. They tuned it to my requests using the form that you can view on their site and they delivered.

I never really felt that it had much of a 'brain' function before but now it does. I like how I can use the full travel now, the improved small bump sensitivity, and its ability to isolate pedal input from trail demands. I guess that would be basically the definition of a rear suspension with a brain...

Definitely recommend people take a serious look at it if they are unhappy with their Brain shock in some way or are close to a maintenance interval and wanna look into it.