mtbr member

removing spacers ( stem) on a Stumpy FSR

My spacers set up is still the OEM one on my Stumpy FSR 29,one above and the other 2 underneath the stem. While the idea of lowering the stem on a road or xc bike does not scare me I really wonder what the difference may be on a trail bike. I've always felt my position on my Stumpy was way too straighten up but again I'm talking as a roadie/xc rider. What the advantages/disavantages may be ? Better uphill efficiency ? More attention required on gnarly stuff ?

mtbr member

removing spacers ( stem) on a Stumpy FSR

Just because a mountain bike has a particular label doesn't mean that you can't change the cockpit setup to suit your own preferences.

By lowering the stem you put more weight onto the front of the bike. That should in theory help keep the front wheel down on steep climbs and also give a bit more grip to the front wheel when cornering, making it less likely that the front will wash out or understeer wide.

The disadvantage of more weight on the front of the bike is that it makes it a little harder to lift the front wheel when needed and on descents additional weight forwards can make it more likely that the front wheel will hang up on obstacles (instead of rolling over them), sending you over the bars.

As you have the spacers available to make this adjustment I'd give it a try by moving the spacers from underneath the stem to above the stem. If you don't like how it rides it only takes a few minutes to swap it back again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My 29er FSR Comp came with one 5mm spacer under the stem, which I removed last fall just to see how i'd like it with the bit lower bar position. Before, it seemed to understeer a bit in turns, but now I seem to be sticking right where I want to be on the trail. Front wheel seems to wander a bit less as well.

Course, it's my first 29er, with slacker angles than I'm used to with my hardtails, so it could be just a matter of getting more used to the new bike as well. But I like the change, and am keeping it that way for now.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I too took a spacer out from under the stem on the Enduro 29er. Front end is already kind of high with this bike. On climbs I felt like it was a little too squirrely, and although it still has a high front, this seemed to make it more balanced between climbing and descending. I also put on low-rise 780 bars (helps get my own front end down a little more too) to add to the effect.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I slammed the stem on my shiny new FS. Then I got it a lower-angle stem, and slammed that. That's a bit much, so I'm going to move it up a spacer.

Don't you love systems that facilitate fine tuning by the end user?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I had the same setup, 2 under 1 above. I swapped to 1 under 2 above and even though it was a very minor change it was noticable when climbing. the front stays down a lot better.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I also run 1 under 2 above for the majority of my riding and it does make a slight difference. If I happen to head to the lift operated mountain for the weekend, I swap it back up a notch.