mtbr member
    Oct 2007

removing bearings from a 25mm enduro hub. how!?

hello,

can anyone tell me how to remove the bearings from the secialized 25mm front hub that comes with the enduro sl?

I've removed the outer seals with no problem but cant see how to get the bearings out.

Cheers

John

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by johnheaton
    hello,

can anyone tell me how to remove the bearings from the secialized 25mm front hub that comes with the enduro sl?
    I was just about to ask the same thing. If someone could post up photos of the procedure, that would be huge.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You need a brass punch with a good edge on it, then just catch the inside lip of the 1st bearing with the punch, give the punch a good smack of the hammer, once you move the bearing a tiny bit, that inner sleeve can be pushed down and then you can smack the bearings out like normal. Don't be scared, that inner sleeve moves.
    Last edited by PB Matrix; 08-13-2008 at 06:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix
    You need a good brass punch with a good edge on it, then you have to catch the inside lip of the 1st bearing with the punch, give the punch a good smack of the hammer, once you move the bearing a tiny bit, that inner sleeve can be pushed down and then you can smack the bearings out like normal. Don't be scared, that inner sleeve moves.
    yep PB is on the money , this is excatly the way
    to do it, ----just like you would do a car, truck or motorcyle ---------i have all the cool pullers, slide hammers , extractors and installers ------and i still use a drift for removal and a socket for instalition

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thanks for the advice,

worked a treat.

cheers

john

Loser
    What's the life expectancy on those bearings?

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch
    What's the life expectancy on those bearings?

John
    if you keep water away from your bike they will last along time ------i have over 1 year now on mine ----i ride 3 to 4 times a week and i pound the hell out of it ------( the enduro is my do it all bike right now ) --

and my bearings are just like new , ------------but i have replaced several sets for customers with not even 6 months of riding on theirs ,

and they had gotten water in them from pressuring washing with tap watter

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The sealing is fairly poor on this hub.

I just replaced the bearings in a 3 week old hub. But my Halo rear hub, head set and bottom bracket bearings all died at the same time after a wet and shitty day at fort william.

My other front wheel, the one that came with the bike, lasted about 4 months before the bearings went. I often ride in nasty wet gritty conditions in the UK, tends to eat bike bits however well sealed.

cheers

John

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    PS never ever take a pressure washer near this front hub. it will die instantly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by johnheaton
    PS never ever take a pressure washer near this front hub. it will die instantly.
    never take a pressure washer to any bike at all ever ----unless you are going to go compleatly through it all.

i get all kinds of bikes -----less than a year old that are ruined from water washing them .

any hubs , all BB --every wheel --all head sets will all get water in them and die shortly .