mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Registering a frame/bike bought second hand

Does anyone know if Specialized has a time frame on registering a frame/bike? For example, if I picked up a 2012-2013 frame or bike off eBay and it hasn't been registered yet but I had a copy of the original sales receipt from the LBS it was purchased from, could I register it and still have the full warranty?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    Does anyone know if Specialized has a time frame on registering a frame/bike? For example, if I picked up a 2012-2013 frame or bike off eBay and it hasn't been registered yet but I had a copy of the original sales receipt from the LBS it was purchased from, could I register it and still have the full warranty?
    From Specialized Bicycle Warranty Policy:

Specialized warrants to the original owner for the lifetime of the original owner of each new Specialized bicycle or frameset that the bicycle frame or frameset when new is free of defective materials and workmanship. The lifetime Limited Warranty is conditioned upon the bicycle being operated under normal conditions and use, and properly maintained. This Limited Warranty does not apply to paint/finish or components attached to the bicycle/ frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive train, brakes, seat post, handlebar and stem, or any suspension related parts or components. Paint/finish, components attached to the bicycle/frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive train, brakes, seat post, handlebar and stem, or any suspension related parts or components are covered under the limited one (1) year warranty. This Limited Warranty is void if the bicycle or frameset was not purchased new or not properly assembled by an authorized Specialized dealer.

Which isn't to say that a dealer can't bend the rules occasionally. This would be a good opportunity to stress test your relationship with your LBS.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Registering it has no effect on the warranty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian View Post
    From Specialized Bicycle Warranty Policy:

Which isn't to say that a dealer can't bend the rules occasionally. This would be a good opportunity to stress test your relationship with your LBS.
    Yeah I read all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Registering it has no effect on the warranty.
    So how would they know who the original owner was then?

The reason I'm asking is I've been looking at a new Epic Comp with upgraded wheel set and tires vs. a used but way better spec'd Epic Expert that's never been registered and was built from a new frame set.