mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Recommended upgrades for a 2008 HardRock Sport 21

Hello, I'm obviously new to both the forums and to mountain biking (one year of experience); I'm basically just looking for some guidance with a upgrade path for my 2008 Specialized HardRock Sport 21

-short story, skip to next section if you prefer-

So last Monday I was mountain biking on my local trail and I crashed on the way down. I broke my rear derailleur and messed up my front break (haven't really looked at it, it just not as it was before).
    I've never really considered upgrading any parts of my bike until after my last crash.

-actual question-

I'm 100% happy just get my bike back to its working conditions, but I want to know is my bike worth upgrading its components or I should just get a cheap rear derailleur (I got my bike for 200$).
    What kind of rear derailleur would you guys recommend me to get? Any other recommendations?
    I'm currently riding 20-30 miles a week and I plan to continue riding my local trails and will hopefully work my way up to the more advanced trails. I'm really just a beginner trying to soak up as much info as I can from sites like this one and the bike savvy people around me. There is so much info out there that it's a bit overwhelming.
    Please let me know if I've left out any information that would assist in recommending an upgrade path.

Thanks for your time.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Don't upgrade. If you have to replace something anyway, get Deore. I bet you have an 8-speed drivetrain. Get the 9-speed Shadow model.

Get the fit nailed. Get pedals and tires you like.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Just take it to your local shop and have them fix what broke. Then ride on and have fun.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Recommended upgrades for a 2008 HardRock Sport 21

I have a '08 RH that I rode the crap out of before I upgraded bikes. I still have the RH & it's fun to upgrade parts as they brake & you learn what you like & dislike about the bike. If you're going to upgrade things I'd suggest all parts that your body touches ie grips, saddle & peddles. After that I'd do tires. Since you already have to replace the drivetrain I won't comment on that. I ended up upgrading just about eddy thing except the frame. It was expensive but I did it over time.