monster member

Rebuild Stout hubs?

Hey folks,

I just learned that hubs have changed a bit from the old LX hubs on my old Cannondale.

I have an '01 Enduro which came with hubs called Stout (or Stoudt, but maybe I just want a beer). I was replacing the rear cassette so I figured it was a good time to repack the hub.

1. There are nuts on it that my cone-wrenches don't fit. 14mm seems too tight, but 15mm seems too loose. All the parts ARE metric, right?

2. Putting it back together, the one ball-bearing race fits pretty deep inside the hub. This means I can't get my cone-wrench on the flats since it's inside the outer wall of the hub (or maybe the outer wall of the freewheel, I forget which now). So, I can't hold the bearing race with one wrench while tightening a nut against it like I'm used to with older hubs.
    - Do I need a special wrench that can get in there?
    - Or, do I need to remove the freewheel to repack the hub?
    - Or, is it self-tightening to remove play? (This is my guess, but is such a different concept than the hubs I've rebuilt 10 years ago I have trouble believing it.)

Help! Spring's coming!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Haven't looked at my Stout hubs yet but my older Deore Hubs were like that too. Only on the Cassette side were the cone and locknut in-accessible. What you had to do was pull the axle out, tighten up the "cassette-side" (makeing sure it was located the proper distance from the end of the axle), then fine tune it from the other side where you could get a wrench onto both of them.

monster member
    Well, I think I tried that and had the same problem, but I'll take another look at it to make sure.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    I've had the same problem but, tightening that side first and after guessing a few times got it. However, where did you get replacement parts for the cassette body. Mine has a lot of play, it even sounds as if missing a shift when pedaling. The local dealer told me they ( Spce) did not supply parts to rebuild that hub, and that it is not shimano compatible, meaning I cannot replace it with an xt replacement. Also I tried to remove the body to see if I could overhaul it, bit the inner 12mm allen bolt is frozen, or needs more leverage than my allen wrench can provide. How did you loosen it? I have the sealed bearing type, but also have the loose ball bearing ( in perfect condition), which I assume you are talking about.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

monster member
    Relayden, I am speaking of the wheel hub only, not the cassette hub. I hope my new cassette will work, but didn't get beyond sliding it on then deciding to regrease my wheel hub.

I don't have any rebuild parts... I only planned to check the condition of the grease and add grease assuming it needed some.

I don't recall any 12 mm Allen-bolt. That would be a HUGE Allen-bolt! Most bolts around the bike seem to be sizes 4, 5, and 6.

I'm out of town for work all week, so can't look at it again until Sunday.