mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Reasonable price for 2006 Stumpjumper FSR Pro?

Found a 2006 Stumpjumper FSR Pro that I am interested in purchasing. Its in really good shape, right size, etc.

Any idea what the going rate is for one? I dont want to offend the guy by low balling him, but I think his price is still a bit high.

TIA!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    700-900
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thats exactly the range I was considering offering. He's at $1250, so I doubt we could come together on a price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well I was just guessing. It's pretty old and has 26 inch wheels which are out of style at the moment. I was guessing based on average condition which on a bike that old means its very likely to need a suspension rebuild on either the front or the rear, Probably has a stretched chain and will need a cassette and rings before long. If he can prove that the Fork and Shock have been rebuilt in the last year, and there is little if any chain stretch it might be worth 1250. Most bikes I see if that age range have a few hundred to be spent on maintenance if you want them to proform like they did new.

PM me

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It's actually really clean from what I can see from the pictures. He claims it only has 700-800 miles on it which seems reasonable per the pics. He's come down to $1100 at this point, he originally was at $1500.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Listing Detail - Bicycle Blue Book

He's easily in the ballpark according to BBB. Because it's a 2006 certainly doesn't mean it needs all the rebuilding as suggested. I just bought (actually did a trade) for a 2007 SJ FSR Comp. There are lots and lots of very nice MTB's that were bought for big dollars and seldom ridden and left in garages all over America. Mine was nearly showroom new with it's original tires.

An '06 SJ, as is my '07, is just as a capable as it's current year version. Let those with money to burn reap the joys of insane depreciation as soon as your new bike rolls out of the showroom.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for that.

This my thought too. I can't bring myself to buy a new bike. 1. I'd get far less bike for the money I have. 2. The finance guy in me can't wrap my mind around accepting depreciation on something like that unless it's a car I run the wheels off (I buy those used too) 3. I at least keep my deprecating cars in perfect shape, which isn't going to happen with a bike I plan to ride hard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If its a low miler with its original tires it could be a buy. The bikes that people buy and put away in the garage and never ride are pretty rare. People who drop thousands on new bikes do it because they ride. There are always some gems out there and this could be one of them. If its what you want make an offer. Just don't be surprised if it has a few needs.

PM me

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Here is the pictures provided. Like I said, looks to be in great shape. Only thing that seems a bit odd to me, but maybe actually isnt, is that some of the components dont match with specs on Specialized's site. SRAM X9 instead of X0, Avid brakes (?) instead of XT, etc.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reasonable price for 2006 Stumpjumper FSR Pro?-sj9.jpg  

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Judging from the pics and considering the market in my area, I'd say that appears to be a very reasonable deal. Very little outward appearance of wear & tear. The cranks aren't even polished up from use! Pending nothing mechanical being wrong, I'd snag it and ride it like you stole it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Am I wrong to think it should have hydraulic brakes? They are mechanical, no? Im sure they'd work fine, but dont want a bike that has been canabalized or something.

(Im obviously getting back into the sport from years off, so tech has changed)

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Yeah, it should have hydro's on it. I'd account for the replacement cost and make him an offer. Again, in my area, I can snag nice quality take off Elixers, Shimano, etc brakes for a song. I'd slap some hydro's back on it.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Bike

Well I have just bought a stumpy my self and did some info seeking before
    i bought it .. i am pretty shure that your bike should have XT Hydrolic brakes and a XT ore XTR rear Shifter.. also the carbon bar is not original .. but that does not have to be bad ! the bike looks great and is worth the money. the Sram is a nice peace and if the setup works. . keep it on ..
    i would change the breaks directly into a set hydrolics ..

Just my 2 cents. .

Reasonable price for 2006 Stumpjumper FSR Pro?-sj2.jpg

Dex
    mtbr member
    I paid $300 for my 06 Stumpjumper frame, seat post, FOX fork and frame shock included.
    Noxubee Hills Trail System's FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noxube...8499244?v=wall