Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Other Dude

Rear wheel build for Enduro SL....Opinions?

I am looking to have an rear wheel built up for my Enduro SL Expert. I know the hub and spokes i want to use (hope pro II rear hub and DB spokes), i am just on the fence about the wheel. These are the 3 I am looking at:

Mavic XM819 UST Disc 465 grams

DT Swiss 5.1D 500 grams

DT Swiss 4.2D 400 grams

What do you guys think about these rims in terms of strength and everything? I really like the 819's because they are UST, but the 4.2d's come stock on the SL Pro, so i am thinking they might be a good choice, but then again the 5.1d's are a bit heavier duty. I am also weighing in around 170 if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Hi Jut8 If you like tubeless get those, get the front rebuilt as well, I'm sure my wheel builder would make an adapter to fit the 25mm, hub so he can jig it on the bench.
    Although my other favourite of old is the XM321. Mind you I'll see how the DT4.2 goes with me, might see how they've been built and if theyre shonky just get a simple rebuild.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey Jut...Go look at the Stans no tubes rims.. I love mine and have no issues. They are the lightest out of the bunch and very strong. I have the ZTR355 but I see there are 2 more models available now...I am 195 to 210 most of the time and use my enduro up pretty hard and the wheels have not needed to be trued yet...You can run tubless or use tubes if you like...www.notubes.com Pretty sure thats the website...Just my 2 cents...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    From my experience (DT 240's laced into 4.2d) rocked. But I was on the carbon stump fsr. They were lightweght and rolled fast. But they are not heavy duty wheels. I am sure they can take a pounding but they aren't 5.1D's

1:18
    The weight for 819 is listed without some eyelet rings (I forgot how it's called), total weight will be around 500 grams.

The Other Dude
    Hmmmm.....i am still not sure what to get yet. I think its going to be between the 819's and the 4.2D's. Beside the tubeless thing which ones do you think will be better suited on the enduro sl?

Which ones do you think would be stronger?
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    If you were talking about my preference would be the crossmaxx xl so therefore the 819. On my enduro dont jump but plough through rock gardens etc with no holdback and they have stayed true and have them serviced by a mavic tec. But as my bike is coming with the 4.2 d I'm going to see how they fare under the same conditions. So on that basis the 819's. Do you have tubeless in mind?

1:18
    The 819 is the same rim as on Crossmax XL - you know, how much they hold It's a tricky one, the 4.2 are new and not many feedback yet.

The Other Dude
    Chain reaction cycles has a pretty good deal right now going on their wheels. They have 10% off, and free shipping to the US for their winter sale, these are the prices of the 2 setups i was looking at:

*Hope Pro 2 Disc Rear Wheel

-Hope Pro 2 Hub Disc Rear
    Red 32h

-Mavic XM819 Disc 2007
    32h Black

-DT Swiss Spokes Competition Stainless DB
    Black 2mm-1.8mm

-DT Swiss Nipple Upgrade Brass Pro-lock
    Black Set

-Hope Qr Skewers Rear Red

(318.50 USD)

(318.50 USD)
    Sub Total:
    (318.50 USD)
    Winter 10% Discount of 100 Baskets
    (31.85 USD)
    Click for information about the available Shipping options Postage Cost: FREE
    Total: 145.51 (286.65 USD)

or the same setup witih the DT Swiss 4.2D rim would be 264.02. So about a twenty dollar difference to get the Mavic.....opinions? Does that seem like a good price for a custom rear wheel?

The Other Dude
    Ok....i LOVED my XL's, so if the 819 is the same rim, I am sold, 819's it is!

mtbr member
    jut - you've got way too much time on your hands!! Sheesh... I'll be happy to just get one and ride it stock!

Out of curiosity, why didn't you just get a frame and build it up yourself? Sounds like you're changing out most of the parts anyway!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    Out of curiosity, why didn't you just get a frame and build it up yourself? Sounds like you're changing out most of the parts anyway!
    I had the a Pro on hold at the shop, then they got an orange expert in....i loved the color, so i got that one instead of the pro, and just figured i would upgrade it with the components i liked. I am actually happy that i did it they way i did, because this way i am building the bike up for my likings. I am thinking when i am done, i will have a bike that is spec'd right in between a Pro and an S-Works. I didnt feel like waiting for the carbon frames to be released.

3xv
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Jut8-If you're going to sell your rear wheel off your Enduro SL for agood price PM me

The Other Dude
    Its on eBay right now, but i would much rather sell it to a fellow MTBR member, i am selling the wheel and cassette together.

3xv
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Jut8-PM me price or link to the ebay auction

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    jut8,

man, you've got too much time to blog. But, hey whatever gets ya drunk. By the way, the carbon frames are out. They were about about a week ago.

As far as the wheel goes.... I'm not at all saying it's a bad choice, but why a Hope rear hub?
    Any particular reason? I'm asking since you could easily use a WTB Laserdisc Lite or a WTB Superduty. I've run the laserdisc lite on everything from a SS 29er to an 04 S-works enduro and they've performed flawlessly. I'm not small either. It's afantastic hub that would be much cheaper and lighter than a Hope.

As far as rims go...... Hit up an 819, don't mess with a DT Swiss rim. I think the'd be ok, but there isn't much feedback on them yet. They stock them on some specialized bikes, but again you've got a company who contracted to put x amount of DT Swiss products on their bikes for the right low price and the right name, not necessarily since they're better.

The Other Dude
    I knew the carbon bikes were out, but didnt know they had just the frames available, oh well, found out too late, thats story of my life.

Anywho, I liked the hope pro II hub because of its Chris King like freewheel engagement, and its price is way less than the kings. I havent looked into the WTB hubs, but i could check into those if they would be more durable and save some weight. I am going with the 819 for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have DESTROYED every WTB hub I have ever run, the one that came stock on my VP Free only lasted a month and its 150mm heavy duty! Had maybe 180 miles on it and scattered on a xc ride, only 2 aggressive rides w nothing bigger than 10ft, and they were soft landings !

JUNK ,JUNK, JUNK !!! But thats my 2 cents.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    jut8

There's a thread on the wheels and tyres forum asking about the 4.2d rims etc, have a look, I would link but this work computers paste functions not working.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I just wondered why you are building wheels for a bike you have not even used on the trail yet? Is it purely for weight or modding for mods sake. I've done this with cars and try to use mountain bikes as my "cheap" hobby to try to stop this behaviour
    Just odd as I would not even have built up a true opinion of the bike and what may be the issues with it yet if i had not done a lot of rides on it

Martin

mtbr member
    From memory as I was looking at new wheels last year, the 4.2's are XC 23mm wide rims, whereas the 5.1's are 28mm and more enduro/all mountain. Not sure about the Mavix though! I am still torn between the two, as I have XC717 which are roughly the same weight/width as the 4.2's and have served me well, but I feel that the 2.1 tyres I have really balloon around the narrow rim! So... I am thinking that I might go up a size of rim.. That said, I REALLY, REALLY like the Industry 9 hoops... laced on 5.1's....

The Hopes are getting huge reviews at the mo, and being British made, look built to keep the c**p out (and here in the UK, the weather gives us loads of c**p!!), so I don't think that you could go wrong with them.
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

The Other Dude
    The guy backed out of buying my crossmax XL's, so I am just going to use those wheels on my SL, My buddy (who is an M.E.) and I are machining me up an axle and adapter to work with the XL's for the front, but while we are figuring that out, i am going to try to get my shop to lace up a new 819 and new spokes to the stock front hub on the SL, that way i can have 2 complete wheelsets for it when we get the axle figured out. He drew up a pretty neat design in inventor that will work, we are trying to decide on material now. Not too sure what type of aluminum to use, or if its feasable, maybe some ti.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    Anywho, I liked the hope pro II hub because of its Chris King like freewheel engagement, and its price is way less than the kings. I havent looked into the WTB hubs, but i could check into those if they would be more durable and save some weight. I am going with the 819 for sure.
    jut8,
    just a heads up regarding the engagement of the kings and the pro II's as well as some other popular hubs:

King 72 engagement points / 5 degree rotation to engagement
    I9 120 or 60 points / 3 or 6 degree
    Hadley 72 points / 5 degree
    Most Shimano is 16 or 24 points / 22.5 or 15 degree
    Hope Pro II 24 / 15 degree
    Hope Bulb 36 point / 10 degree
    DT 18 point / 20 degree
    Easton Havoc 36 point / 10 degree

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Chris King hub!

sorry, had to let that out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    hey a question for jut8, did you ever get your Mavic XL front wheel mounted on your Enduro SL? If you did how's it going?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast