mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New question here. Rear Suspension Upgrade?

Newbie here. Love the board. I couldnt get the search to come up w/ what info I was needing so here is my question:

I have a 1999 FSR. It currently has the stock spring for the rear suspension. Can that spring be replaced with a shock? What kind/type shock? Do I need to modify the frame/mounts? I love the bike. I also don't have the $$$ to replace the whole bike. I am just getting back in the saddle from a nasty spill from 2 years ago. I ride in some pretty rocky terrain, with some high speed downhill, jumps, and climbs. Your advice & experience are appreciated. Thanks.

Benchracer

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My LBS got back w/ me on this. The RockShox Bar 2.1 is a direct replacement.

Coaster also found a Fox Vanilla will work as long the the dimensions & compression work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi, curious to know what the standard shock was on the 99. I have one but got it second hand and no idea. Its a rock shox which just has delux written on it. It also has cartridge bearings in rear. Suspect this may have been upgraded.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yeah the stock shock for the 99 FSR...

was the Rock Shox Deluxe. Not the greatest shock on the market at the time, but serviceable.

The sealed cart bearing at the rear mount was definately an aftermarket upgrade. The standard set up was the more traditional reduce and bushing set up.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    thanks for info

jason8265
    If interested I have a Fox shock from a 99 that was only ridden for a year before the frame was warrantied. I would make a really good deal on it since it does me little good. It came on the 99 FSR elite and will fit any of the FSR models of that year. Shoot me an email at jrdedrickson@bibb.com and I could get you some pics and details.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorbut
    Hi, curious to know what the standard shock was on the 99. I have one but got it second hand and no idea. Its a rock shox which just has delux written on it. It also has cartridge bearings in rear. Suspect this may have been upgraded.
    My FSR came w/ a Manitou elastimer front shock/fork. It is not very good. I have had it rebuilt by my LBS but they tell me they cannot get anymore parts for it. I plan to upgrade when money falls from the sky. The rear came w/ a coil spring only!
    Last edited by Benchracer; 04-24-2006 at 12:09 PM.

fsr
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

99 Fsr

I have the same bike and it is definately a rock Shox deluxe rear shock. I'm not sure why it gets bashed so much, I find it quite plush and serves me well. I recently put on a Marz Mx pr0 fork with eta and it is incredible. There are some smokin deals on the mx comp fork with eta around. Stratos and Cane Creek make a rear shock that fit the rear of this bike. good luck.
    FSR

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fsr
    I have the same bike and it is definately a rock Shox deluxe rear shock. I'm not sure why it gets bashed so much, I find it quite plush and serves me well. I recently put on a Marz Mx pr0 fork with eta and it is incredible. There are some smokin deals on the mx comp fork with eta around. Stratos and Cane Creek make a rear shock that fit the rear of this bike. good luck.
    FSR
    thanks. Very timely as I am looking to chuck the manitou magnum on it for a Marz and was looking at that one (spooky). I am new on f/s. the rear shock has a 900 spring. I am 195lb and wound it up a bit and it has almost no bob as far as I can tell, but feels 'plush' and takes out the bumps and roots etc but also takes out vibration on road and gravel really well. I did find play in the shock. it was the bolt at top end broken in the middle - crystallized and showed it fractured long ago. that flogged the holes in frame a bit, but as the original is 6mm, I just drilled it to 1/4 inch, put in a new h/t bolt and its like new. It made a surprising amount of play which felt like a knock.