Red (rock) hill of death
    Jan 2011

rear shock losing air really quick? 2009 FSR xc

I recently picked up a Specialized 2009 FSR xc. It is the base model that came with V-brakes. I have replaced the brakes with some avid hydros and had a mind to replace the Tora 302sl that came with it. But after every ride I have done my rear shock air pressure jumps from about 130psi at start of ride down to about 30-40psi. That is not normal I suspect... I spoke to the lbs and they said they would order a rebuild kit and do the labor for free, but I am wondering it I should just try to replace the shock all together with something compatible.

mtbr member
    So you pump the rear shock to 130 psi at the beginning of the ride, do the ride and when you re-attach the shock pump afterwards the gauge on the shock pump only reads 30-40 psi.

A loss of 100 psi approximately over the ride?

If the rear shock is leaking and losing 100 psi per ride then the suspension performance will noticeably deteriorate over the ride. By the end the rear shock will be bottoming out constantly. The rear shock will be almost completely compressed just from sitting on the bike making the bike unrideable. Is this what's happening?

If you're not noticing this behaviour then have you tried a different shock pump. It could be that there's a problem with your shock pump gauge rather than the rear shock?

You can replace the rear shock on a 2009 Specialized FSR XC quite easily. Something like a Fox RP23 shock fits and is a good upgrade over the original rear shock.

Swapping the rear shock on a 2009 FSR XC Comp

Red (rock) hill of death
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the reply!

By the end of my ride my rear shock is bottoming out quite easily and sags a lot. The lbs said they would order a rebuild kit and do the labor for free. I am gonna try that and start saving for a new one to buy for the start of summer.

Bike Addiction
    If that works out great, if not I do have an X-Fusion from my 09 XC Comp for sale cheap. PM me if interested. Just been sitting in the shop for about a year. I replaced with a Fox.Shock doesn't have much ride time on it either.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

Red (rock) hill of death
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the replies, I brought it to the LBS a few times and they were able to figure out where it was leaking. Although it was covered under warranty, X-fusion refused to honor it, luckily it was only a defective valve and was able to be replaced really cheap and has been working great ever since.

Bike Addiction
    Glad it worked out. Have fun with the bike. Lots of great info and people on here if you have any more trouble.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing