mtbr member

Rear shifter cable issue 04 Stumpy

I am having a problem with keeping my rear derailleur cables from getting gummed up and creating drag.

I just switched to the new XTR reveres rise derailleur and when it is in the biggest cog on the rear cassette the cable coming out at the end and attaches to the derailleur has quit a bend and that could be part of the problem. However when I have brand new cable housing on there it works fine.

When I replace the cable housing it will work great for about 3 or 4 rides and then even after cleaning them out and using an air compressor to blow all the crap out they still get all sticky and create drag.

I have tried a light coat of oil but then when it is dusty it just attracts all the dust when it gets wet and muddy -which is often here in the Pacific Northwest the just get all slow feeling. I have tried cleaning it out with WD40 and then blowing rubbing alcohol thru.

I have thought of going to the Avid Straight Jacket cable housing but all I could find where reviews in the Flack Jacket and Full Metal Jacket cables.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The Avid Flack Jacket is an excellent system....

and would go a long way to solving your problem. Just make sure that you install them accoriding to the directions. It is difficult to keep crud out of that last run of housing between the bottom bracket and the rear D. Just make sure that your housing runs are the correct length and that you give the red cable sheath time to strarighten out some before you do your cutting and fitting. Laying them on a bench and warming them with a hair dryer will help em straighten out nicely. I've use flack jackets for quite a few years and like them quite well. I've got an 05 Stumpy (the only bike I have right now without flack jackets) is due for cable replacement this winter and I'll be doing flack jackets on it. Anyway, I would recommend them for your application, they work well and are durable.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Team Blindspot

Second tha Flak Jackets

Quote Originally Posted by mark747
    I am having a problem with keeping my rear derailleur cables from getting gummed up and creating drag.

I just switched to the new XTR reveres rise derailleur and when it is in the biggest cog on the rear cassette the cable coming out at the end and attaches to the derailleur has quit a bend and that could be part of the problem. However when I have brand new cable housing on there it works fine.

When I replace the cable housing it will work great for about 3 or 4 rides and then even after cleaning them out and using an air compressor to blow all the crap out they still get all sticky and create drag.

I have tried a light coat of oil but then when it is dusty it just attracts all the dust when it gets wet and muddy -which is often here in the Pacific Northwest the just get all slow feeling. I have tried cleaning it out with WD40 and then blowing rubbing alcohol thru.

I have thought of going to the Avid Straight Jacket cable housing but all I could find where reviews in the Flack Jacket and Full Metal Jacket cables.

Any thoughts?

They do a very good job of sealing the cables. Next best thing to full length housing.

Two pics: on the downtube and the chainstay run.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pictures S-works. How long have you been using the flack jackets?

Are they better than the old Ride On gore-tex system? I had tried that on an older bike and the gore-tex coating starts to wear off and gets all bunched up in side the housing. Is it different because it still just uses a stainless steel cable and the red sleeve is sealed?

The reviews are kind of all over the place and what with my experience with the Gore RideOn system I am a little hesitant to spend $35 on the Flack Jackets.

I can buy a lot of plain housing for $35

mtbr member
    Oh, and whats the difference between the Straight Jackets and the Flack Jackets?

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by mark747
    Oh, and what�s the difference between the Straight Jackets and the Flack Jackets?

I've used them on both my bikes for the last 5 yrs. Worked flawlessly.

I rarely have to touch them. When I put the red sleeve over the cable end, I use a very small amount of silicone sealer to hold the seal. Nothing gets in.

I don't know the difference between straight and Flak jackets.

Good Luck.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member

Drill out the cable stops.

One of the few thigns I hate about spec. is the cable routing. I've drilled out the cable stops on both my enduro and my epic and run complete housing on both. Works sweet.

mtbr member

Drill out the cable stops.

One of the few things I hate about spec. is the cable routing. I've drilled out the cable stops on both my enduro and my epic and run complete housing on both. Works sweet.

AndyFSR

New question here. Full length

Got any pics of your cable routing on the Enduro? Do you run the same location, or did you reroute to some degree?
    I too hate the cable routing espcially under the bottom bracket.
    Thanks in advance,
    Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchmonkey
    One of the few thigns I hate about spec. is the cable routing. I've drilled out the cable stops on both my enduro and my epic and run complete housing on both. Works sweet.
    Andy
    ...I go downhill like a falling safe...and climb like I'm dragging one.

mtbr member

Use the original stoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by andyfsr
    Got any pics of your cable routing on the Enduro? Do you run the same location, or did you reroute to some degree?
    I too hate the cable routing espcially under the bottom bracket.
    Thanks in advance,
    Andy
    I just drilled the backs out on the cable stoppers and ran the housing straight through the original way. I know some other guys who cable tie their housing down the toptube and seatstay, but it looks bad and tends to flex up into your thighs near the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchmonkey
    One of the few things I hate about spec. is the cable routing.
    I think they've caught on. 06 Stumpy has full housing for the rear.

AndyFSR

Thanks

I believe i will give the full length cable a try.
    Appriciate the response.
    A3
    Andy
    ...I go downhill like a falling safe...and climb like I'm dragging one.