I need skills
    Jul 2004

Rear pivot bolt working loose???

2001 ? (black and silver) Stumpjumper fsr pro. The lower suspension pivot bolt, right behind the crank, keeps working loose. It spins into the small chain ring every half hour or so.

It was suggested the pivot bearings may have seized up, causing the bolt to rotate loose.
    1. Are there two bearings in the main pivot (one for each side)?
    2. Do I need to buy a whole bearing kit from specialized? Or is it true that roller blade bearings are identical? If so, which bearing part number?
    3. Are the bearings "pressed" into place or just slide in?
    4. I'll need to remove the midle chain ring, which requires the removal of the crank. What type of crank is it (square, splined)?

thanks in advance.

Charlie

Boomslang
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson
    2001 ? (black and silver) Stumpjumper fsr pro. The lower suspension pivot bolt, right behind the crank, keeps working loose. It spins into the small chain ring every half hour or so.

It was suggested the pivot bearings may have seized up, causing the bolt to rotate loose.
    2. Do I need to buy a whole bearing kit from specialized? Or is it true that roller blade bearings are identical? If so, which bearing part number?
    4. I'll need to remove the midle chain ring, which requires the removal of the crank. What type of crank is it (square, splined)?

thanks in advance.

Charlie

If you disassemble the Chainstay from the front triangle, you should be able to feel if the bearings turn or not. I doubt this is the primary cause, but it's worth double checking.

To fix this, just put some red loc-tite on the bolt and torque properly.

Bearings are pressed in.

Should be a square taper crank, but it will be obvious once you take our the crank arm bolts.

No, I don't think roller blade bearings are the same size, but you can probably find them cheaper than Specialized sell them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson

thanks in advance.

Charlie
    I've replaced the bearings in my '01 so:
    1 - yes, one bearing in each side.

2 - I bought my bearings from a local industrial bearing shop. I don't have the part numbers handy, but as mentioned, you should remove parts to get access to check your bearings, and then you should be able to read the part number on the side, which should match available sealed bearings.

3 - I can't remember how tight the main pivot bearings were to remove, but yes, they are pressed in.

4 - my '01 fsrxc has a square taper crank. I bought a Park crank remover which included two adapters, so it will remove both square taper and ISIS cranks.

Like JakeWake said, if the bearings still turn smoothly, then loctite the bolts and you should be ok. Blue loctite should work ok too.

Gravity Rides Everything
    i'd recommend enduromax bearings.

http://www.abiindustries.com/Pages/products.html

your shop can also get them through quality bicycle products. Full complement bearings last much longer in pivot applications.