mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Rear mud-guard/shock protector?

I just ordered the rear mud guard for my Stumpy FSR. I ordered the factory one from Specialized and I have to say I am dissapointed. It attaches to the frame with 3 zip ties!?! I would expect this from an aftermarket company, but not from a "factory" part. What brand are you guys using? I need it mainly for the shock protection from rocks/sticks. Not too worried about it blocking mud from anywhere but the shock. Pictures would be great too.
    Last edited by dooks88; 04-13-2007 at 03:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Mine is from Specialized as well. The zip ties work fine. Just put it on and don't worry about it. Hard to add something to a moving linkage without zipties

mtbr member
    Me2. Never had a problem. It might look ghetto, but, hell, it does its job very well! Its never moved, shifted, or anything like that. It protects the shock from mud and dirt, and, isn't that what you paid for it to do?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm finding it difficult to imagine a scenario in which rocks and sticks would be flying at your shock on an FSR?? It's designed to deflect mud and thus save seals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dooks88
    I just ordered the rear mud guard for my Stumpy FSR. I ordered the factory one from Specialized and I have to say I am dissapointed. It attaches to the frame with 3 zip ties!?! I would expect this from an aftermarket company, but not from a "factory" part. What brand are you guys using? I need it mainly for the shock protection from rocks/sticks. Not too worried about blocking mud. Pictures would be great too.
    so what, you want to pay 300 bux more for a bike so that the rear triangle can be specially designed, fabricated, and machined so that a mud guard magically snaps on and stays there forever?

Jesus christ... do you understand what a spoiled ignoramus yuppie crybaby you sound like right now?

WTF is wrong with zipties. I guarnatee you that Zipties will work 100x better than any special engineered mounting setup they come up with and charge you the extra for. besides the zipties are so skinny you can hardly see them.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab
    I'm finding it difficult to imagine a scenario in which rocks and sticks would be flying at your shock on an FSR?? It's designed to deflect mud and thus save seals.

explain this one for me they put the shock right in the mud path of the rear tire.. and FSR is magically supposed to deflect mud away from it? interesting.... explain away.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    explain this one for me they put the shock right in the mud path of the rear tire.. and FSR is magically supposed to deflect mud away from it? interesting.... explain
    I guess I don't understand your sarcasm, but this particular fender is designed to deflect mud. That's what I was implying in my previous post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonk0u
    so what, you want to pay 300 bux more for a bike so that the rear triangle can be specially designed, fabricated, and machined so that a mud guard magically snaps on and stays there forever?

Jesus christ... do you understand what a spoiled ignoramus yuppie crybaby you sound like right now?

WTF is wrong with zipties. I guarnatee you that Zipties will work 100x better than any special engineered mounting setup they come up with and charge you the extra for. besides the zipties are so skinny you can hardly see them.
    Sorry. All you had to say is you dont mind the zip ties. No need for personal attacks. Please post when you have some useful information. kthx.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I was just a little surprised when it showed up in the mail. The description says "custom fit" but doesnt mention zip ties at all. Of course i am going to use it for now, but just wanted to see if there was a better option.

mtbr member

It works

I've had my mud flap for 3 years now and no problems.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I bought the Spec and best $ spent. It's amazing how a little protection keeps the crud off the shock. Had it for almost a yr and no prob. Yes, I agree when I forst got it I thought it was a little cheezy especially with zip ties. Looks like it's a part of the bike. I havent taken it off but I'm certain the paint is rubbed off where the flap touches.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I don't have this guard and the LBS usually charges a premium so has anyone used or made an alternative to the genuine Spec. guard.

My temporary solution was to use a piece of inner tube cut along the length, then attached by zip tie around shock body and linkage at the other end of the shock. It basically puts a roof over the shock shaft.

But like I said, it's only a temp. Does anyone have any brilliant inventions or ideas they'd like to share.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You can order it direct from Specialized. No need to worry with the LBS. Now before all you LBS fans get all bent, I support my LBS, but I'm not gonna let them take me to the cleaners.

mtbr member
    Never in my life have I seen so much energy devoted to such a little thing.....your lbs should not be charging more then Specialized does. Mine was roughly $20 and it does exactly what it is supposed to do. It's a shame that they don't come stock on all Stumpy's

mtbr member
    I can find the info and picture under Equipment->MTB components->Fenders, but dont see where to order it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prod
    I can find the info and picture under Equipment->MTB components->Fenders, but dont see where to order it.
    Just Add to Cart and you're ready to go! http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=25226