mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Ready to take the plunge

I know this is a Spec' forum but I need to find out as much as I can before I put this much $$$ down. I pretty much know what to expect to hear so Im ready for all the facts that I can get. Ok 1st let me say Im new here & Im not trying to flame any bike so any help in making the plunge I will greatly apreciate any advice, coments, suggestions etc....I currently now own a Cannondale Scalpel 1000 2005 which gave me the thrill of getting alittle more serious about riding again. Im wanting to take the plunge in getting a bike that I know I will be completely satisfied in. I do some trail riding, some XC riding,very little jumping at least nothing bigger than 2 ft. Love hitting the trail wanting something that can climb like a goat & descend just as well. Just looking for the all around bike that can do it all. Not into competetion racing to old for that (lol) So here are my choices. Im looking at the Cannondale Rush 3Z or the Specialized Stumpjumper Expert. Out of these 2 bikes which would I be totally without any regrets be satisfied. I know I need to get out there & test ride them & I will but for now will anyone who has had the opportunity to ride both lets hear the pro's & con's. I feel with all the expertize opinon's on this forum I should get some great facts on where my hard earn money should go. Plus if anyone wants to throw a different brand after getting me the info on the 2 Im considering do so as I would love to hear

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    get the stumpy for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisf695
    get the stumpy for sure.
    Wow your response is full of great convincing information. You should talk to the specialized advertising department because you have some really good ideas.

I have a 07 Rush 4 and have never ridden a specialized so I can't give you much there. But from all the research I've done there is no right or wrong when it comes to these two bikes, they are both great. My Rush climbs great without having to put propedal on, but when you do put it on it climbs even better. It is a very forgiving bike and has kept me on it even when gravity is pushing me the other way. Not a very light bike though, but I'm not a weight weenie.

If you do go for the specialized please don't turn into one of those specialized riders that always make fun of my lefty. It gets old really quick.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hey BrownLefty, I have a Lefty now & I thinks its great. Im not about to make fun in any way as my Scalpel has brought me some great rides. Just looking to upgrade & getting the most for my money

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiptx
    Hey BrownLefty, I have a Lefty now & I thinks its great. Im not about to make fun in any way as my Scalpel has brought me some great rides. Just looking to upgrade & getting the most for my money
    Since you're already familiar with and like the Lefty, that neutralizes one of my arguments against the Rush. I generally liked the Rush, but could never quite get over the appearance of the Lefty, and I don't mean how it looks sitting still. I just have some kind of mental block about looking down and seeing half of a fork. I realize that I am weird though.

Aside from that, the Rush felt more XC in its geometry than the Stumpjumper, which I do not prefer. I like a more centered riding position.

Now with More Wood
    I have not got a lot of time on the Stumpy, but I have ridden it a little bit - I am personally a great fan of Specialized geometry, so not surprisingly, I love how the Stumpy rides. Like a nimbler and lighter version of my Enduro SL (although the Stumpy is a bit twitchier of course, due to a sharper headangle, which makes it much more appropriate for longer XC type rides). For the type of riding you describe, the Stumpy has to be up there as one of THE top choices today. Can't go wrong IMO.

But as the others said - do test ride them both and make sure to get the one YOU like the most.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Can't wait for 09 now

After seeing the new Epic's Im leaning towards one of those as I really like the rear single pivot suspension for 09.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiptx
    After seeing the new Epic's Im leaning towards one of those as I really like the rear single pivot suspension for 09.
    Single pivot?! What bike are you looking at? The new 09 epic will still have 4 bar linkage. Look closely.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"