mtbr member
    Feb 2008

RE: Avid XX Brakes

I was wondering if anyone else out there is running into the same problem that I am having with my AVID XX Brakes. I am getting a noise from my rear rotor, Squeal. At first I was getting the "Turkey Gobble" sound and that went away. Especially in the front brake. However, I am hearing the brake noise now in the rear brake but not the turkey gobble. It is more of the normal squeal sound. Please let me know if you had the same problem. I have sanded the pad surface and cleaned the rotors. I am wondering if the caliper has to be better aligned now. To me it is in good alignment. Might see what I can do with it.. Please send some info ok. Thanks in advance, have a good ride.!

Religion = Non-thinking
    i have the same problem with my avid elixir 4's on my RH SL pro. Its been there since the first week of the bike and i can feel the vibrations all the way to the seat. i can definitely hear it all the time, everytime i brake whether its light or hard
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    yup, same here

Spice
    Dec 2008
    i get it occasionally with my elixir cr's, sometimes it isnt there, sometimes its noticeable, and sometimes the whole frame vibrates

My new Elixir Rs or How to stop the dam howling

huge thread on it here, i think he just got a new set from avid in the end

Shift less, Pedal more.
    I've tried everything with my Juicy's w/Elixir calipers. I was getting the howling/vibration throughout the entire frame, all from the rear brake.

The only thing that has worked so far is to use Avid's sintered brake pads. I spent a couple of days riding around my street bedding in the pads, and the rear brake finally works great with no noise or vibration.

I hate to say it, but I think some of the issues are from improper bedding. Also the organic pads just gave me problems.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I had the same prob. My front rotor needed to be trued. It still squealed when wet. The rear rotor just started a little squeal over this past weekend. I haven't had the time to dig into it. The clearance with the SRAM XX calipers is crazy small, this is the big challenge.