mtbr member
    Sep 2003

Racing Vs. Causal rider

So I'm trying to figure out what kind of bike to get this spring. I really enjoy mountain biking a lot but do not race and do not plan on racing. I just ride purely for the fun of it. So here's my question would it be better to get a rockhopper pro or a stumpjumper comp HT. I have ridden a rockhopper comp and really like it a lot. From what I know the stumpjumper has a more aggressive geometry. So just looking for thoughts and comments.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The rockhopper sounds like it'll be more in your league; its more comfort oriented and therefore, you'll have a more enjoyable time riding it.
    Riding and loving it

HammerHead
    I will recommend Stumpjumper comp HT. It has better components, it has better fork, which you can lockout and makes climbing a lot more efficient. I would say if money is not an issue then go for stumpjumper. Just make sure you ride one before to make sure you are happy with it. I really like the way it climbs and biggest difference you will feel going from rockhopper to stumpjumper is the fork. Fox RL90 is the one of the best(if not the best) XC forks out there.
    2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 3 29er
    2013 Tarmac Sport
    2009 Langster Moscow
    "What is wrong?"
    "You need a new bike"

mtbr member
    The RH is a comfort and casual-rider bike for the weekend warrior. Although this might fit you requirements now, if you plan on getting serious or growing into the sport (and I am sure you will), then you should definitely consider the SJ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Is it just the geometry that makes it a causal bike or is it also the cockpit components, because i plan on switching out the stem and handlebar right away if i were to get the RH.

mtbr member
    Well, it depends. What types of bar and stem are you going to switch it out for? If it is a longer stem and flat bar, it will drop you lower and put you in a more aggressive position. If you want that, you might as well splurge and get the stump. If you want a shorter stem/higher bar, stick with the rockhopper. I hope you don't plan on getting a thomson stem/carbon bar because, well, its a thomson stem and its a carbon bar! Don't fall into the material side of cycling! I'm just getting out of that phase, and although I bought good quality stuff, it really wasn't neccesary. But, my excuse is I work ina shop, so I get everything cheap anyways! Anyways, I would say the stump is a better frame to build on in the future. Downside is the base model has rim brakes, versus hydro discs. your call. You can always upgrade, and if you're just riding weekends, I doubt you will be doing anything at 35mph where you need the stronger brakes. my .02. Anyone?