mtbr member
    May 2004

Racing on an Epic ( Marathon)?

Anyone out there using an Epic Marathon( or other) for a race only bike. What are your thoughts compared to other bikes youve raced on.

bang
    i can't compare it to anything else, since it's the only real bike i've ever had. it's good for those short sprints since you don't have to worry about the rear end bobbing and sucking up all of your energy. the rear travel is just enough to soften the medium and larger hits. it's not that great for repeated hits, as it will gradually firm up and then unlock again, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude
    it's not that great for repeated hits, as it will gradually firm up and then unlock again, etc.
    Hmm... that's interesting. My Brain Enduro feels as if the rear shock stays active a while after the bump. Therefore it takes repeated hits really well, the first bump unlocks the rear and it doesn't firm up until all the bumps (even smaller ones now) are behind.
    Could there be such a difference between the Brain on Epic and Enduro, or is it all about the adjustments...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No the brain on the epic, the older enduros, and now the stumpjumpers are a different brain. They are set at different forces and to stay open for different periods of time. The epic at its softest setting this year is comparable to the stumpjumper at its hardest setting. The enduro also never stayed quite as locked out as the epics do although it was still solid and by far the best 5" travel stable platform out there. The trailbikes (SJ and enduro) are meant to stay open for a little longer than the epic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ok, I knew that the Brains were different (eg. some don't lock-on, but stay really firm when pedaling on smooth), and that the new Brains are really different from the old ones, but I didn't know that there were such a big differences between SJ-Epic-Enduro.
    My 2005 Enduro has a non-adjustable Brain (0,75 g).
    Thanks for the education.

mtbk66: Have you ever ridden a bike with a Brain-shock? I totally agree with MTBFreerideCT that the Enduro has the best 5" stable platform (accelerates like a HT), and I think that the new Epic is even better. It's the best rear suspension design for racing IMO.