Thread: Race Time

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Race Time

I have the urge to try out a few mid week races this summer. I have done some racing years ago but my 30 something competitve spririt has come back alive.

I now own a stupmy fsr (06) and my bad back likes the extra travel However, It doesn't seem realistic to run this in a XC race even at the beginer to sport level.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Just ride it how it is, it shouldn't be that big of an issue. I raced an '05 Stumpy 120 in a cross country race once and it felt fine. It doesn't really matter what bike you ride in your first race, in mine all I worried about was finishing and not crashing into other people.
    "My scraper bike go hard, I don't need no car."

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    As I mentioned this wouldn't be my first race...
    Anyone with more experience?

Thanks

mtbr member
    It should be fine. I do a lot of racing and I see a lot of guys racing on 120 mm rigs.

RideMFRide
    www.crankskins.com

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks joker

The Other Dude
    I am 24 and ran an epic for the last 3 race seasons. My back started giving me problems and i also have bad knees from racing motocross when i was younger to just a few years ago. I had an 06 SW Stumpy FSR, and i raced it for some of the rockier courses, with the brain i really didnt feel at much of a disadvantage, i honestly think it was more mental than anything else.

With that being said, I sold my epic and bought a new 08 Stumpy FSR for my race bike this year. I have had it out a few times, and i actually feel like it will be an all around faster and more comfortable bike than my epic was, i am excited!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I race a 2007 SJ FSR Expert, 5 inches of travel, and do just fine in beginner/sport combined class. I make up time on the downhills On longer races (2+ hours) I think it is an advantage. Start racing, if you need something else, you'll know. Have fun, that's the whole reason to race (at least at my level).

mtbr member

Race it

I've raced a 110 Giant Trance and a SJ 100 among other bikes. I currently have a 2008 SJ 120 and wouldn't think twice about racing it. You have a lot of options to equalize the extra travel and weight. Or, like bikefoolery said, just beat em on the downs!

mtbr member
    just race it,one time i did a super d race and took my 06 enduro and not my HT,turned out to be a XC race against HT riders on a ski hill down and lots and lots of ups. it was still really fun. i think a SJ is actually the perfect bike for longer races.