Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Race Time

821 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Hand/of/Midas 
#1 ·
I have the urge to try out a few mid week races this summer. I have done some racing years ago but my 30 something competitve spririt has come back alive.

I now own a stupmy fsr (06) and my bad back likes the extra travel However, It doesn't seem realistic to run this in a XC race even at the beginer to sport level.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Just ride it how it is, it shouldn't be that big of an issue. I raced an '05 Stumpy 120 in a cross country race once and it felt fine. It doesn't really matter what bike you ride in your first race, in mine all I worried about was finishing and not crashing into other people.

#6 ·
I am 24 and ran an epic for the last 3 race seasons. My back started giving me problems and i also have bad knees from racing motocross when i was younger to just a few years ago. I had an 06 SW Stumpy FSR, and i raced it for some of the rockier courses, with the brain i really didnt feel at much of a disadvantage, i honestly think it was more mental than anything else.

With that being said, I sold my epic and bought a new 08 Stumpy FSR for my race bike this year. I have had it out a few times, and i actually feel like it will be an all around faster and more comfortable bike than my epic was, i am excited!

#7 ·
I race a 2007 SJ FSR Expert, 5 inches of travel, and do just fine in beginner/sport combined class. I make up time on the downhills :) On longer races (2+ hours) I think it is an advantage. Start racing, if you need something else, you'll know. Have fun, that's the whole reason to race (at least at my level).

#8 ·
Race it

I've raced a 110 Giant Trance and a SJ 100 among other bikes. I currently have a 2008 SJ 120 and wouldn't think twice about racing it. You have a lot of options to equalize the extra travel and weight. Or, like bikefoolery said, just beat em on the downs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.