mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Quick tire question :-) 2.35 on a stumpy?

Hi guys :-)
    I am fed up of punctures and fancy some more grip, so I am about to order two Maxxis High Roller 2.35 tires and Nokian DH inner tubes. Pretty heavy, but I think the benefits will be worth it. Now, these are to go on my 2007 Stumpy FSR Comp with Fox Float 32's. Am I going to have any clearance issues?
    I would like to point out that I am at university, hundreds of miles from my bike so I cant just have a look and see how much clearance the stock 2.1 tires have:-(
    Cheers!
    Gareth

Single-Track Monster
    Jan 2007
    quit being lazy and making us do your research. Call Fox Racing Shox at 1-800-FOX-SHOX

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Force
    quit being lazy and making us do your research. Call Fox Racing Shox at 1-800-FOX-SHOX

This is a forum for discussing things.. what is wrong with asking for other peoples experiences and knowledge?! Fox may be able to tell me that the tire will fit there forks, but can they tell me if they fit a Specialized frame? Probably not, hence me asking on this forum Anyway I am in the UK so your number doesn't work, which makes your post both nasty and useless

The Other Dude
    the 2.35 will work out fine, i ran 2.3's on my stumpy without issues. What are you getting flats from? is it tears or pinch flats? If you are getting pinch flats, you may want to consider going tubeless, thats what I run now, i like lower pressures and it works out great with a little stan's it even seals up small punctures. If its from tears though, tubeless wont work out so well.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    I run Kenda Nevegal Stick-E 2.35's and they have no problem with clearance my 06 Stumpy 120. It's one of the best ways you can improve your bike's perofrmance. I would say definitely go for it, you will be glad you did.

I would agree, GForce is out of line.

Single-Track Monster
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosts_cloak

This is a forum for discussing things.. what is wrong with asking for other peoples experiences and knowledge?! Fox may be able to tell me that the tire will fit there forks, but can they tell me if they fit a Specialized frame? Probably not, hence me asking on this forum Anyway I am in the UK so your number doesn't work, which makes your post both nasty and useless
    just because it worked on someone's bike, doesn't mean it will work on yours...

-tire pressure- (especially since a tire gets wider with the less air you have in it)
    -rim width- (a skinnier rim makes a tire taller and slimmer, a wider rim makes a tire shorter and more fat)

...all are factors on whether or not the tire will work...hence...get a hold of the manufacturers...since you can't call...

customerservice@specialized.com
    mtbservice@foxracingshox.com

Single-Track Monster
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpunk7
    I run Kenda Nevegal Stick-E 2.35's and they have no problem with clearance my 06 Stumpy 120. It's one of the best ways you can improve your bike's perofrmance. I would say definitely go for it, you will be glad you did.

I would agree, GForce is out of line.
    I hate to brake it to you...but the frame geometry on your frame and the 07 Stumpy Comp he is asking about...are different...and I'm not just talking about the 120mm of rear travel either...

Top Tube Length
    BB Height
    Head Tube Angle
    Seat Tube Angle
    Wheel Base

...all are factors that could screw you...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I can answer this question very simply, I run maxis high roller 2.35 front and rear (2nd pair) on my stumpy 07 with no issues. I adjust tire pressure to suit conditions and haven't had any problems. I have one piece of advice to give - if you dont mind changing tires after a few months of use then get 42a super tacky front and rear (this is what i like best for great grip) However I think running the 60a maxx pro on the rear with the 42a super tacky front will give you good traction combined with longer lasting tired. I found 42a wears down fast on the back so 60a might help

Cheers

mtbr member
    ive got 2.24s on my 07 stumpy comp and it works fine. Seems like there would be clearance for a 2.35...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hiya all,
    thanks G-Force I will fire off an email and see what they have to say.
    I have had a variety of different punctures, and think it is just a combination of skinny tubes and tires. I really hate sitting at the edge of the trail, cold in the rain fixing punctures! I tend to ride sporadically, so I am not sure if tubeless would suit me, doesn't it go off after 6 months or so? Also, I am mechanically rubbish and have presta valves which I believe would make things a pain?
    Gareth

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by broom broom
    I can answer this question very simply, I run maxis high roller 2.35 front and rear (2nd pair) on my stumpy 07 with no issues. I adjust tire pressure to suit conditions and haven't had any problems. I have one piece of advice to give - if you dont mind changing tires after a few months of use then get 42a super tacky front and rear (this is what i like best for great grip) However I think running the 60a maxx pro on the rear with the 42a super tacky front will give you good traction combined with longer lasting tired. I found 42a wears down fast on the back so 60a might help

Cheers
    Brilliant, thanks :-)
    I have heard from a few sources to put a 42a on the front with a 60a on the back.... I sometimes ride on tarmac to get to trails though, wont 42a's wear down super quickly?
    :-) Gareth

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I only noticed quick wear on the rear with 42a i ride trails that have quite a bit of fire road in between which consists of gravel and dirt. I think you'll be fine with the 42a up front. I know i am willing to sacrifice a little bit of wear for trusting grip on the front when i'm in rock gardens and going over wet roots. If you feel 60a on both will be fine then go for it.

Cheers

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    This should solve your question. 2.35 Nevegal on Front. Also running a 2.35 Minion on the rear. No rub.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Great, thanks for that azdog
    Unfortunately minutes before I ordered ChainReaction ran out of the 60a compound so I have two 42a's on the way!
    Thanks everyone!
    Gareth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Force
    just because it worked on someone's bike, doesn't mean it will work on yours...

-tire pressure- (especially since a tire gets wider with the less air you have in it)
    -rim width- (a skinnier rim makes a tire taller and slimmer, a wider rim makes a tire shorter and more fat)

...all are factors on whether or not the tire will work...hence...get a hold of the manufacturers...since you can't call...

customerservice@specialized.com
    mtbservice@foxracingshox.com
    If you think that Fox and Specialized have a database of every tire ever manufactured and tested on the 07 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, you have some very wishful thinking.

Tires have some elastic characteristics but do not get wider with less air pressure. The contact patch on the ground becomes wider but that has nothing to do with clearance through the frame.

The profile of a tire is determined by the manufacturer during the design process. Rim width has very little effect on tire height and width but can have a noticeable change on ride characteristics,

G-Force, how old are you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

2.35 tire clearance issue

I have a 2006 SJ and I have a 2.4 Maxxis up front and a 2.25 WTB in the back. 2.35 is too big for the rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Forgive my first post here at MTBR. I am not sure about the 2007 SJ, I tried a 2.35 on my 2006 and it rubbed the rear chainstay. I am a heavier rider so that may have factored in as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hmm it may be a little bit of a squeeze then.. thanks for the tips guys! I have heard that Maxxis tires are usually narrower than you would expect for the quoted size, eg Maxxis 2.7 ~ a 2,5 from a different manufacturer. Well, I will let you know what transpires!

Calm Like a Bomb
    i admit i was too lazy to read through all the posts...but i run a nevegal 2.35" sticke up front and have no clearance issues...the maxxis 2.35" are actually smaller than the 2.35" nevegals so i know u won't have any issues....i have a 2007 stumpy fsr with a fox float 32 rl up front
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

wjb
    mtbr member
    Also have a 07 stumpy. It seems the 2.35 Nevagal will fit the front ok but it is a little unclear if it will fit the rear. Any new info on this? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    2.35 Nevegals DTC fit fine front and back on my 2007 Stumpy.
    "...there was a time, and that time was so long ago..."

wjb
    mtbr member
    Thanks!