mtbr member
    Feb 2014

The quick and dirty about why specialized is evil

Hey guys, I was big into mountain biking about 15 years ago. There was tons of love for specialized, and I always wanted one of their bikes.
    I quit riding for a dozen years or so, and now there seems to be an equal mix of specialized love and also specialized hate.
    I looked through the forums here trying to find what the big deal is, and all I could see is a thread about specialized not liking their names or trademarks used, and a bunch of one-off comments about how people for "political reasons" hate the brand.
    Anyone care to fill in the details for me? The quick and dirty version is all I'm looking for.
    Full disclosure: I just bought myself that specialized bike I always wanted. Lol. Love the ride, just wanting to learn the backstory now.

mtbr member
    Its their business practices (requirements for stores that sell their product) and their heavy handed legal department that prevent me from giving them any business.

mtbr member
    I'll make it simple for you : it's a tough world out there and when you are on top of your game a lot of people hate you.
    That said, the Volagi affair,the Cafe' Roubaix and the other hundreds of lawsuits and tyrant like behave Specialized have with whom they consider their enemy I guess applies in any other big corporate bullish environment on this planet.

PS : ok they have been jerks for not giving me a goddam pen,or sticker or a mug when I've stopped by in Morgan Hill last year visiting from Italy...,I've just ordered my 6th bike in 3 years with them today....
    Intense in Temecula you just show up and ask if you can have a look around and they are more than happy to let you do so. And Intense bikes are some kick ass bikes !!!
    Last edited by Devastazione; 02-27-2014 at 04:09 PM.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

Bring back the Tour de GA
    Because haters gonna hate. Enjoy riding your bike.
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    For some reason people care/have an opinion about things (things that really don't matter, not talking about world hunger etc) that don't directly affect them. I'm not one of those people. Ride what you want and don't care what other people think (they don't matter).

Commit or eat sh!t
    Some of it has to do with Specialized trying to force their own standards and systems (past and present). Examples include: rear shock mount/yoke, front axle, BB, rear wheel spacing, etc. It makes it more difficult to build your own bike or swap out parts vs. other brands.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Because haters gonna hate. Enjoy riding your bike.
    It's true, but Specialized also breeds a special type of Fanboi. I can't tell you how many "Neither of these Specialized bikes are really what i'm looking for....which one should i buy?" threads.

Humpers gonna hump, i guess?
    Blur LT & Highball

old fart
    Mar 2010
    You're buying a bike. Not validating a political movement. Understand the difference, spend your money as only you can, and get out freeking riding...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Right on. Thanks guys, glad this didn't turn into a hate thread as that's really not what I was wanting. Lol. This gives me that general idea bout what I was wondrin bout.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwi View Post
    You're buying a bike. Not validating a political movement. Understand the difference, spend your money as only you can, and get out freeking riding...
    Well said skiwi, well said. Get out and ride.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    They are very heavy handed with their dealers, resulting in forcing out other brands from the shop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    "Join Date: Feb 2014"

Nice try... did you post a "The quick and dirty about why scott is evil" and a "The quick and dirty about why trek is evil" too?

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I think a lot of hate comes from the fact that Specialized builds damn fine bikes that compete with more "boutique" companies offerings, often at a reduced price (though you can certainly get a Spec bike that gets into the 9k+ range).

It must hurt a little to spend more money on an evenly matched or less capable bike, not that many riders can really tell the difference.

Evil, no. A bit too quick to sue, probably.

DFMBA.org

Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
    I think a lot of hate comes from the fact that Specialized builds damn fine bikes that compete with more "boutique" companies offerings, often at a reduced price (though you can certainly get a Spec bike that gets into the 9k+ range).

It must hurt a little to spend more money on an evenly matched or less capable bike, not that many riders can really tell the difference.

Evil, no. A bit too quick to sue, probably.
    Totally agree with this^^^. I'm just a month into my first Spec MTB and I'm really liking the equipment. Furthermore, I don't find the aftermarket stuff to be any higher priced than some others (e.g. Bontrager), maybe even a little less. That said, I don't know why the dealers charge above Specialized's MSRP, but hey if you can get it..I suppose.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by -Andy- View Post
    "Join Date: Feb 2014"

Nice try... did you post a "The quick and dirty about why scott is evil" and a "The quick and dirty about why trek is evil" too?
    Nice try? Don't know who you think you are but you must've missed the fact that I bought a specialized bike, and was being sincere in my question. Guess you're trying to post my join date to work the "he must be a troll trying to **** on specialized" angle. Sorry, not the case, sweetheart.

mtbr member
    Specialized gives the best bang for the buck and my favorite LBS sells them. That's why I buy their product. Think Specialized is the only brand that has privatized stuff, try working on a trek DRCV suspension or anything from giant. All the big boys do it. If I ever buy just a frame I'd consider a Transition frame or something else, but spec for spec it's hard to beat Specialized.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigb2000 View Post
    Think Specialized is the only brand that has privatized stuff, try working on a trek DRCV suspension or anything from giant. All the big boys do it.
    My point wasn't that Specialized was using its own components, but that it is not standard so you can easily swap it out with something else.

Like the rear shock mount found on Enduro or Stumpy, which requires you to use a special kind of shock. Unlike DRCV which you can swap out with any other shock that has the same length and stroke.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy View Post
    Like the rear shock mount found on Enduro or Stumpy, which requires you to use a special kind of shock. Unlike DRCV which you can swap out with any other shock that has the same length and stroke.
    You cannot swap the DRCV out with another shock, as the upper mounting hardware is proprietary. It requires two bolts that thread directly into the shock, something that no other company offers.

Also, many Giant frames use a specific eye to eye/stroke length, that's not available in an aftermarket product. While it's been a while since I looked, I owned a Trance 26, and there was no available shock to replace the stock Fox.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronFPeet View Post
    You cannot swap the DRCV out with another shock, as the upper mounting hardware is proprietary. It requires two bolts that thread directly into the shock, something that no other company offers.

Also, many Giant frames use a specific eye to eye/stroke length, that's not available in an aftermarket product. While it's been a while since I looked, I owned a Trance 26, and there was no available shock to replace the stock Fox.
    My bad. I then put Giant and Trek on the same list too

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    It is more difficult to swap an Enduro shock, but not impossible. I'm running a custom valved Rockshox Monarch on mine (and I LOVE it!). I will admit that its not always super easy (in fact PUSH doesn't currently offer one anymore...).

Specialized will claim that they use something proprietary because it is the "very best" for their frame design. Meaning, they design the frame first, then find the shock to fit. I don't know if that is really true, but I don't think it is just marketing propaganda.

old fart
    Mar 2010

Some context for Specialized.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy View Post
    My bad. I then put Giant and Trek on the same list too
    Cannondale too - can't overlook ye olde Lefty and Headshok set-ups if you're talking about non-compatible parts.

In my personal experience, Specialized has backed up their products better than a number of boutique brands when things broke. And their products are well thought out and work well. That's enough for me.

Mostly, this is more an issue of mtbers being dorks more than anything else IMO.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.