Thread: Questions

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Questions

Hi guys, I've been a member for a long time but this will be my first post.

I have an 04 specialized stumpjumper comp M4 MTB medium size with shimano hydraulic brakes, fox float 80rl fork and I'm planning on getting a new to me 2000's Specialized FSR S-Works frame large size.

My question is, can I transfer all the component to this bike without having to spend more money on new components, will the fork I currently have works?

Just want to do a swap, they appear to be about the same year built but not totally sure.

Thanks in advance for any help .

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Are there any potential issues I might run into?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    just found out mine is an 04 model and the other is an 01 model, will this be a problem?

mtbr member
    If you're planning on transferring the fork from your medium size frame to a large size frame you could find that the fork steerer is too short for the large frame. It would be worth checking the length of the steerer to make sure it will work beforehand.

There needs to be enough fork steerer length above the frame to be able to safely attach the stem.

You might also need a new rear brake hose in the correct length to match the new frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks wr304, I just check my bike and I have about 1 1/2 inches of extra steerer covered in carbon fiber spacer, so I should be good there. I was reading another thread and I realized I was going to need new brake lines, that's fine that shouldn't be expensive so I'm good here too.

Should I be concern of anything else?

Thanks a bunch for the help.

mtbr member
    The 2001 Specialized FSR frame uses a 30.9mm diameter seatpost so there shouldn't be a problem using your current seat post.

2001 FSR S-Works Question

Specialized Bicycle Components

The other thing to look at would be the front derailleur. Your current frame has a bottom pull 34.9mm diameter clamp front derailleur. From this thread it's possible that a 2001 Specialized FSR frame may need an E type front derailleur instead.

VWVortex.com - 2001 Specialized StumpJumper FSR XC

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks a lot again, I'm not really an expert on this, used to be like 25 years ago and I can't remember a thing so I don't really know what to look for, and you are helping me to do the homework or I most say that you are basically doing for me.
    I just check and they don't seem to be too expensive so I could work with that, they seem to cost around $50 on eBay, is that right.
    I'm not a hardcore or anything like that so I don't need expensive parts, just looking for a full suspension to help my back a bit.

mtbr member
    One downside to looking at a Specialized full suspension frame of that vintage is that you can't easily get spare parts such as linkages if there are any issues. A cheap full suspension frame that needs work doing is no longer a cheap full suspension frame. It's hard to tell from a photo if there are any problems such as slop in linkages or a blown rear shock that will need fixing.

Chances are any second hand frame you buy will need some new pivot bearings fitted also to get the suspension working smoothly.

FSR Pivot Bearing Overhaul

Making sure that the bottom bracket shell threads in a second hand frame aren't stripped is always a good idea too.