mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Questionable Marketing - 08 Stumpjumper Expert

I just bought the 08 Expert, researched geometry and brain technology but didn't pay as much attention to the parts list other than suspension, assumed a $3,700 bike came with better components, glad I didnt pay $3,700, but in hind site would have been better off buying the frame and building it up.

First piss off, crappy seat and seat post , creak, creak , swapped out from my other bike a thompson elite seatpost and wtb stealth seat. Next further research - cassette is below XT level, may be even below LX... Ok so $60 bucks online for the 08 XT , not the end of the world. Hmm LX front Del with Sram XO rear - huh?, ok for now, will use LX for a season and swap out. Next wheelset is going out of true with minimal ride time, apparently this wheelset is 2,000 grams plus, uses deore hub, dont even know what the dtswiss really is - now major cash decision, probably set me back min $500, geez do I strip the 717's from my other bike, was hoping to run 2.3 tires.

Now is the crankset a 07 XT or what???one post mentioned below LX, they also removed the adjuster dial from the avid brakes?, grips are cheesy also, going to buy some ODI's. May be I'm just annoyed cuz it snow again and I can't ride , because think this will be one sweet bike once upgraded but for the money, should be better equipped.

Wonder if anyone knows more about the component levels and has a similar experience.

surfer w/out waves
    i think we all can agree that if you have the ability to buy the frame and then build it up w/ components of your choosing... there will be a lot less to ***** about!!!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!..." -- Dennis the Peasant

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i do agree on the grips, they are PATHETIC, i want a fat grip with lots of soft rubber to grab, ive ordered some ODI rogues for my sx II thats on the way, are you listening specialized? get a grip!!!!

mtbr member
    Wow, the prices are really high on the stumpy for the components this year. I got better spec on my Epic last year :\
    :wq

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailhunter
    ...because think this will be one sweet bike once upgraded but for the money, should be better equipped.

Wonder if anyone knows more about the component levels and has a similar experience.
    There was some discussion similar to this in the Why buy Specialized? thread from a few weeks back. I agree that some of the specs seem a little "weak" when considering what the retail prices of these bikes are. But then again, many of us are able to pick up these bikes up at a discount (as you seemed to) which kind of makes it work out.

I've done some immediate upgrading on my Speshy's, and I'm sure there will be more done as things break or wear out. Overall, though, I'm satisfied with the builds.
    Last edited by PCinSC; 03-25-2008 at 08:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have swapped a lot directly when I bought the bike.
    Here you can not buy the pro version of the frame, so this was the "affordable" way for me.

The crank is XT 2007, but just with another color to it. The adjuster dial is on the brakes, but it is the same as the avid ultimate. It is a brake set that is between the juicy 7 and the ultimate. I had to bleed the brakes because there was a lot of air in there.

I haven't riden with the wheels, but if the hub is deore, then I would think that you have a set that came on a stumpjumper Fsr comp. It should be a custom DT swiss hub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I bought the 07 Expert last year - it has a similar spec

The seatpost snapped whilst I was riding.
    The wheels would never stay true and nipples kept breaking.
    the quick releases were hopeless

I swapped out the cassette for XT
    Thomson masterpiece seatpost
    Replaced the wheels which are an overweight 2100g and prone to breaking, for something stronger and lighter.

I also thought the LX front derailiur was a bit suspect - but actually it works fine!

Great bike though!!
    Last edited by Futon River Crossing; 03-26-2008 at 01:43 AM.

surfer w/out waves
    Quote Originally Posted by Futon River Crossing

I also thought the LX front derailiur was a bit suspect - but actually it works fine!

Great bike though!!

front Der's tend to be usable even in the acera/alivia line ... nothing like a crappy rear Der.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!..." -- Dennis the Peasant