mtbr member

Question for those who have a RH with Shimano LX M580 crankset

Or M582 (number seems to be confusing).

A week or two ago I had my LBS install a Shimano LX M580 crankset on my 2007 Specialized Rockhopper. The crankset comes with three 2.5mm spacers. As I understand it, the RH has a 68mm BB shell; and according to the Park website and other sources I've looked at, there should be two 2.5mm spacers on the drive side and one 2.5mm spacer on the non-drive side. The mechanic could only put one spacer on each side, and he even pointed that out to me when I came to pick up the bike. He said if he put two spacers on the DS, the NDS crank arm would not have enough clamping space on the spindle, and I think he might have said something about the plastic circular NDS crank arm fixing bolt not fitting properly due to the NDS crank arm being "pushed out" a bit far by the second spacer on the DS.

Checked the crankset and BB, and it looks like there is no gap on the DS of the crankset that would suggest the crank/spindle was not fully pushed into the BB shell. Is this something to worry about or no big deal?

Any of you RH owners have an LX M580 crankset that only uses only one 2.5mm spacer on the NDS and DS? When you had the new crankset installed, did you have the BB shell faced?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just looked at my hybrid with the same setup as yours. I also have a 68mm bb. I did the swap myself on mine. You are correct, there should be 2 spacers on the drive side and one on the none drive side. The spacers are used for correct offset on the chainrings after the bearing cups are tightened down. If it truly is a 68mm bb you should use the 3 spacers. It sounds as if the bb is a larger size than 68mm or something is not installed right. I am not a shop tech and installed mine in about 15min. Maybe your bb is wider ?? How does it shift and does the drive chain look inline ??