x--x--RIDER--x--x

question on disc brakes..?..?

hey everybody! i am new here... this looks like a popular forum, so i decided to join!!

well my question is:
    on disc brakes, if they are brand new, will it take them a little bit to wear in and start grabbing a little harder to the rotor?
    i just bought a hard rock comp bike with discs, and the front ones werent hooking up as well as the rear at first, but now the rear and front are both hooking up better than at first.
    is this normal?
    and will they continue to get stronger to a certian point?

if you could answer my questions, or just any one of my questions i would appreciate it!!
    thanks!

and P.S. the brakes are the avid bb5 brakes, and i dunno what the rotor is quite yet.. but its avid as well..
    thanks again!
    cya!
    Yea, you MAY ride to live...
    But do you..
    LIVE TO RIDE?!?!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    yes this is normal
    and thay will get more powerfull it normaly takes time for the pads to bed into the rotor

x--x--RIDER--x--x
    ok sweet!!! thanks a ton! haha ya i was kinda figuring that it was something like that, i just wanted a professional opinion on it as i am still growing in biking.. haha
    thanks again!
    cya!
    But do you..
    LIVE TO RIDE?!?!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The bike has BB5's right? Just adjust the pads closer to the rotor (the red circle adjustment with the arrows on it. it's facing your spokes). Move them in til they are rubbing, then move back a few clicks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    you should do a "bed in" process. basically take your bike up a hill and bomb it. slam the brakes hard while still rolling to a stop. this is so the pads will bed into the rotor. this will fill up microscopic gaps on the rotor can create a better surface for braking.

do this with all new disc brakes and after you clean your rotors. basic cleaning would be taking rubbing alcohol and a rag and just wiping the rotors down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

my case

you are facing something perfectly normal.

actualy you dont have to bomb them the hill like our bro,linga had said.you can take a slower process while minimizing too much friction causing your tire knobs to wear,by "hard-brake" thrice every offroad ride.

in other words,it may take 2 weeks to fully bed in,but your tyres will still be in good condition.

ride safe

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdhop

actualy you dont have to bomb them the hill like our bro,linga had said.you can take a slower process while minimizing too much friction causing your tire knobs to wear,by "hard-brake" thrice every offroad ride.

in other words,it may take 2 weeks to fully bed in,but your tyres will still be in good condition.

ride safe
    2 weeks lmao
    ill just bomb a hill and do it in 10 min but i brake hard all the time so brakes that work at maximum power are important to me

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdhop

ride safe
    What are you, nuts with this advice?

This is the equivalent of the old wives' tales where you were told to run your motor oil low in your car because it's better for the engine.

Get some hard braking, as well as a combination of some place where you can build steady heat on the faces by dragging them. This is not something that will wear out your knobs any more than to a negligible amount, along with the fact that you will have properly functioning brakes. Pads need a combination of wear and HEAT to properly work. The wear allows the pads to wear into the grooves on the rotor face, while the heat allows them to conform better, as well as removing some of the binders on the surface and exposing the actual friction material better.

x--x--RIDER--x--x
    WOW!!! thanks guys! this forum is the best ive been to! i used to be on these other forums, and the guys werent much help, and they just joked around and didnt answer your questions..
    THANKS A TON!!
    well ill talk to ya later!
    cya!
    But do you..
    LIVE TO RIDE?!?!

x--x--RIDER--x--x
    hey what are some good sites to search for bike parts at?
    thanks in advance!
    But do you..
    LIVE TO RIDE?!?!