Bike to the Bone...

Question about the Safire Comp

I'm searching for a bike for my GF. I'm between the Safire and the Nickel (both seems to fit based on the geometry charts).

I don't know what the price for the Safire is in Mexico City, but if they are both similar, here are some differences between both models:

1. Component wise, the Safire has higher components than the kit that i am looking at in the Nickel.
    2. Geometry and suspension, I think that the Nickel seems to be better suited for the downs vs the Safire for the ups, but I feel that both are very close in that. Suspension, both have the same Fork (Fox Float Performance), but the rear shock is different (either float RL or RP23 for a little more) vs the Triad II. How does the Triad work? Is it reliable?
    My other question in geometry, based on the specialized web, is that it mention in head tube angle in the low setting, does this mean that the Safire has two settings? Personally I think that it's only one but the site is generic, but maybe I don't know much about the Safire.
    3. I think that the nickel would be heavier, but burlier. However, my GF is not heavy nor does she huck or jump, so maybe durability won't be an issue regarding which bike she chooses.

Assuming that both bikes would be prices similar, I think that the Safire might be a better option.

Bike to the Bone...
    Also, does any one has a pic of the Safire in small?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My .02cents,
    I was in the same position as you 3 weeks ago with my GF, she demoed the Safire, Fate, & Epic. She is 5,10 135Ibs, after riding the same trail on all 3 bikes she chose the Epic comp 29.

The trail has a mix of everything rocks, loose dirt, hard packed dirt, wet mud, climbs, small down hills, wooden skinnys ect ect.... She ended up changing the bars to an Easton 70XC 40mm rise along with the Easton EC90 stem both bars and stem are carbon. Along with a 152mm Romin saddle. Even though the Epic is a mens bike with some small adjustments a female can easy feel right at home.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicFSR View Post
    My .02cents,
    I was in the same position as you 3 weeks ago with my GF, she demoed the Safire, Fate, & Epic. She is 5,10 135Ibs, after riding the same trail on all 3 bikes she chose the Epic comp 29.

The trail has a mix of everything rocks, loose dirt, hard packed dirt, wet mud, climbs, small down hills, wooden skinnys ect ect.... She ended up changing the bars to an Easton 70XC 40mm rise along with the Easton EC90 stem both bars and stem are carbon. Along with a 152mm Romin saddle. Even though the Epic is a mens bike with some small adjustments a female can easy feel right at home.
    The standover just doesn't fit, as the budget, but it's a good idea. thanks......