mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Question About A New Bike's Brain Maintenance

I am considering buying a new 2011 Epic Comp Carbon 29er from a local bike shop. The bike was on layaway for almost 2 years before the original purchaser backed out. The bike has been hanging upside down for a while from the shop's ceiling. In doing research on the Epics I have read a few times where the brains need to be serviced yearly, even if not used. So my question is, does a new two year old Epic with brain need to be sent in for servicing even though it has only been riden a few times in the parking lot? I ask because that service would add to the overall initial cost of the bike.

NedwannaB
    That should be included by shop. I'm sure they had some money kept from the layaway considering it became basically a brand new "test" bike not "demo". Get them to include it, or better yet, deduct the service fee and have it sent out after you've ridden it awhile to make sure it's done proper. That way if it acts up soon after purchase, you may be able to get it covered by warranty.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The bike is marked down to $2499. The original price was $3999. Before the brain issue I had already inquired about any additional discounts since it is 2 years old. I was told that is their bottom price. If they are not willing to lower the price, is the $2499 price reasonable for a new bike that may need to have the brain serviced under warranty or out of pocket?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If it helps any, getting mine repaired cost about $130. Doesn't seem that bad for a worst case scenario.

Also, if it has elixirs then I recommend you budget for a replacement...I have a hunch they will go bad (srs though)

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by DallasMelMan View Post
    The bike is marked down to $2499. The original price was $3999. Before the brain issue I had already inquired about any additional discounts since it is 2 years old. I was told that is their bottom price. If they are not willing to lower the price, is the $2499 price reasonable for a new bike that may need to have the brain serviced under warranty or out of pocket?
    No that's a pretty good discount! Different take on it now. I'm looking at a '13 in either Comp or Comp Carbon and have been quoted $2600/$3300 respectfully.

The only neg I've heard on those '11 models is/was finicky issue with the Brain (since fixed), and the Avid brakes(switched to Magura). But at that price (guessing at least ~$1000 less than you priced for a '13 Carbon Comp...)you could do the shock service now, and upgrade to different brakes later on, in the meantime have an awesome bike! I think the issue was noise on the Avids which is a pretty typical glitch with them (I have some Avid 7's and Elixur CR's on bikes that do same but switching pads keeps it at bay).

Just my $0.02 of internet quarterbacking here.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....