mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Question about 1x10 to 2x10 conversion for Epic 29 EVO R

Hi,
    Converting my 2011 Epic 29 EVO R from 1x10 to 2x10. I have read a bunch of posts here that have really helped figure this out. I've have decided to replace my SRAM 2200 BB30 with an XO BB30 from a friend and have the following questions:
    1) Specialized stated the the Q-factor for this Epic is 166, Chainline is 49.5. I cannot find the Q-factor listed anywhere for the XO as an option, only the XX let's me choose between 166 and 156. Will this matter? Or can I go ahead and use the XO?
    2) Is the XO BB30 crank likely to work with the SRAM-2200 BB cups or will I likely need to replace those?
    3) From what I understand, even though I can find a compatible 2x spider for my 2200, I have been told by Specialized and SRAM that the chainline will be off and that this 2200 was built to a specific spec, just for this bike. Thus, I have to replace the crank. If anyone would like to weigh in on this, please do.

Again - I have read everything I could find on this site, really interested in answers to questions 1 & 2 as I have a viable (cheap) option to replace the entire crank.

Thanks much,

Dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillet999 View Post
    Hi,
    1) Specialized stated the the Q-factor for this Epic is 166, Chainline is 49.5. I cannot find the Q-factor listed anywhere for the XO as an option, only the XX let's me choose between 166 and 156. Will this matter? Or can I go ahead and use the XO?
    2) Is the XO BB30 crank likely to work with the SRAM-2200 BB cups or will I likely need to replace those?
    3) From what I understand, even though I can find a compatible 2x spider for my 2200, I have been told by Specialized and SRAM that the chainline will be off and that this 2200 was built to a specific spec, just for this bike. Thus, I have to replace the crank.
    1) 2200 should be very similar to X0. It is probably the same 166.
    2) The 30mm axis should be the same and should work.
    3) There is also a 2x model with the 2200, so I do not believe the chainline problem. Anyway, I could not find a BB30 spider for the 2200 (there seems to be only an Italian one), so a complete crank is about the only option (you can also use a X9 BB30).