mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Question about the '03 S-Works Epic

I am considering purchasing an 2003 S-Works Epic w/ Fox 80x fork. Can anyone provide any insight as to the performance, durability, quality etc. of the 2003 epics.

The epic's geomoetry is what I am looking for in a bike and the reputation of the epics has me leaning towards it as my choice. Are there big differences between the 03' models and the models that have been released every year since.

I currently have an 07 Stumpjumper and am very happy with it. However, my posture on the bike does not feel right. Epics appear to put the rider in a more aggressive position.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Epic

There was a recent article in (I think) Bicycling magazine or MBA about revitalizing a 2003 Epic. They said the BB was too low and changed the geometry by swapping out the fork for a longer travel FOX. They spent over $1900 upgrading it.

I have an '06 that I have upgraded and it is a great bike. You won't have the plushness of the SJ but the Epic does climb better with zero bob.

Also, 4 years old is a long time on a bike that has been ridden a lot.
    "Nothing is free."

Ibis Mojo / Parlee Z5 / Colnago Master Zabel / Cannondale Tandem / Civia Loring w/bamboo fenders

bang
    the epic's frame and shock have been refined a little bit every year. the low bottom bracket could be an issue if you ride in rocky areas, but as b_aero pointed out, a 100mm fork would help. for reference, all '03 epics had 80mm forks, and all but one of the '04 epics had 100mm forks. i've got an 80mm sid on my '03 epic and it's fine. i've ridden my epic year-round for the past 2.5 years and it's never given me any problems. just do the routine maintenance on the shock, pivot bearings (i just replaced mine last fall) and fork and you'll be good.

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My old Epic is an '03 S-Works frame w/ the '04 brain shock (with adjustable bump threshold). I have a new '07 Epic Marathon M5. Very similar, but I think the geometry is a little different. Nothing major, but when comparing the two bikes, I have carefully set them up identical at the saddle/bb. Both bikes use the same Flite TT saddle. The old bike has a straight thomson post, and the new one uses a layback one. Both saddles are mounted in the same spot on the clamp. That tells me the seat tube angle on the old design is slightly more relaxed. I have used a "fitstick" to determine it precisely, based on a vertical center line above the center of bb. Identical height and set back.

Neither bike rode terribly different. I loved the old one too. I like the new one w/ longer travel and disc brakes. But other than that, they're both good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thank you for the input. It looks like I am going to go ahead and order an 07 comp epic tomorrow.