mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Question on 2011 Epic 29er 142+

I'm really liking the looks of the 2011 Epic 29er frame, but I want to build this up instead of buying a complete bike. The thing really holding me back is exactly what is compatible with the 142+ spacing on the rear. Looking around I see that DT Swiss makes both a 142x12 mm rear hub and they also have the 135mm to 142mm conversion kit. Neither of these though seem like they would be identical to the new rear hub that Specialized has on these bikes which they claim moves the cassette over a little bit to create a wider spacing between the flanges for a stronger rear wheel. I also gather that you can't buy just the rear hub and build a wheel up using that, and sorry - I don't care how nice the roval wheels are, I can't justify $1550 for that wheelset.

So what are the best options for building a rear wheel if you buy only the Epic 29 frame?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If you purchase a 2011 Epic frame only, they will send you a rear hub with the frame.
    2011 S-Works Epic 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Are you certain of this? I spoke to a Specialized dealer who called the regional Specialized rep and they both said that there was no rear hub with the frame. It could very easily be that they just haven't sold a frame-only Epic yet to know....

mtbr member
    yep - the rear wheel spacing is my hold up too. I'm interested to know if they do indeed send the hub with the frameset. It does not mention this on the site, so I doubt they do

mtbr member
    It comes with the rear hub.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleSpeed
    yep - the rear wheel spacing is my hold up too. I'm interested to know if they do indeed send the hub with the frameset. It does not mention this on the site, so I doubt they do
    Actually they list it in the technical specs but they don't show it in the picture on the Specialized website.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    It comes with the rear hub.
    Great - thanks to you and Mdrnzed for the info

mtbr member
    As long as you get a hub compatible with the Syntace X-12 system (142 spacing) it will work. Just because Specialized is moving the cassette out a couple mm's doesn't mean you can't set up a standard 142 spaced rear wheel to work. The issue you'd have is switching between a 142+ rear wheel and a 142 rear wheel as your rear derailleur would be out of alignment with whatever wheel you're switching to.

Check this page for a better description of the system and for a list of compatible hubs...

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1314

Also, the Specialized website does indeed list the hub as being included with ALL Epic frame sets.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert
    So what are the best options for building a rear wheel if you buy only the Epic 29 frame?

Thanks!
    Just sent you a private message