mtbr member
    Mar 2011

putting on a bash guard,derailleur quest

im taking off my outer chainring on my 11 hardrock and replacing it with a bbg bashgurd. since i wont be able to shift into 3rd is there anything i need or can do to the derailleur besides just not shifting into that gear ?

thanks.

\m/ \m/
    You can adjust the limit screw on the front derailleur.
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks !

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You could have bought the salsa triple ring tooth fairy bashguard and kept the 3rd crank ring.

I am not certain if you could just adjust the limit screw on the front derailleur and have it resolved, you might need to get a chain keeper.

Also, if I am not mistaken, you need to readjust the chain length. Basically you need to use the second crank ring as your bigger ring and arrive at the proper length.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smufguy
    You could have bought the salsa triple ring tooth fairy bashguard and kept the 3rd crank ring.

I am not certain if you could just adjust the limit screw on the front derailleur and have it resolved, you might need to get a chain keeper.

Also, if I am not mistaken, you need to readjust the chain length. Basically you need to use the second crank ring as your bigger ring and arrive at the proper length.
    i went with a bbg bash ring, just waiting for it to get here. im not sure what a chain keeper is. something like the N-jump ?

why would i have to change the length of the chain ? if i keep the chain on the 2nd ring now it causes no problems ?

thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smufguy

You can certainly just adjust the limit screw on the front derailleur, and you do not need to adjust your chain length.

I've had my bike setup like this for years without a problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The chain keeper is just a loose tern for any device that prevents a 3-speed front derailleur from being accidentally shifted to a gear position that results in the chain being off the crank wheel.

Said that, you are just replacing the 3rd crank wheel, so your bashguard normally would prevent you from over-shifting by mistake. A chain keeper (such as Paul Designs) is intended for single speed conversions that prevents the chain from jumping under hard peddling. The N-Stop is only useful if you use your 3 speed derailleur and want to remove the granny gear. Then the N-Jump (or 3RD Eye Chain Watcher) would prevent you front overshifting into the granny gear, which does not have one.

IMO with a bashguard alone, you would be fine.

On the chain length. All normal chains are measured from the biggest cog to biggest crank for proper shifting slack. now that you have dropped the big crank ring, your chain length is longer than what it technically should be. You can leave it the way it is or you can reduce the chain length. 2X10, 2X9, 3X9, 3X10, singlespeed or event 1X9 combination drivetrains run different length on the chain. If you look into the 2X10 drive-train conversion on MTBA magazing four or five issues back, you will find then stress that point.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Reducing the chain length will allow you to use all of the gears, you can't at the moment due to the chain being too long

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    stock i have 3 rings up front and 7 in the back. i just want to have things adjusted correctly so i have little issues as possible.