mtbr member

Push'd Septune anyone??

undefined
    Hi,

I'm trying to find out if more than 1 of you 05 SJ120 owners out there had your Septune shock "Push'd" by push industries. (BTW, I did do a search, and I found 1 thread with only 1 reply )
    There HAS to be more of you out there that had this done, right??

Wondering:

A) did you really notice THAT big a difference?
    B) what specifically was the biggest improvement over the stock septune?
    C) all things equal, would you spend that $150 and do it over again?

I just got my S-works frame & am building it up...so any input is great,

Thanks so much girls & boys,

John.
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

mtbr member
    Maybe the fact that you can only find 1 reference is an indication that the majority are happy with their Septune as standard? What makes you feel you need to change it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh
    Maybe the fact that you can only find 1 reference is an indication that the majority are happy with their Septune as standard? What makes you feel you need to change it?
    Excellent point, druidh. You know, some magazine publishes some negative stuff late last year about the septune, next thing you know, half the reviews on MTBR on the '05 stumpys ***** about the septune.
    I guess thats proof positive of how the media can lead the public...
    The fact that I have this same question posted here & in the shock section with only 1 response should be enough for me to live with it, but I admit that 'all that negative press' about the shock has me worried, all before I have even built the damn thing up!
    I'm sure that the bike & shock are well beyond my capabilities...I should be happy with what I have.

Thanks for the perspective,

John

searcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker75
    Excellent point, druidh. You know, some magazine publishes some negative stuff late last year about the septune, next thing you know, half the reviews on MTBR on the '05 stumpys ***** about the septune.
    I guess thats proof positive of how the media can lead the public...
    The fact that I have this same question posted here & in the shock section with only 1 response should be enough for me to live with it, but I admit that 'all that negative press' about the shock has me worried, all before I have even built the damn thing up!
    I'm sure that the bike & shock are well beyond my capabilities...I should be happy with what I have.

Thanks for the perspective,

John
    I am in the same situation! Probably will go for a 05 S Works frame, and I am a bit worried about the Septune because of all the negativ replies. But , yes, I have to agree here with druidh that there might be no reason to change anything and the Septune will be just fine for me. We have to ride it first, but there has to be a good setting for us, at least one out of seven! :-)
    On the other hand , S dont use the Septune at all in 2006, and there must be a reason behind it.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kovi
    On the other hand , S dont use the Septune at all in 2006, and there must be a reason behind it.....
    Probably because of the negative press. I don't have any issues with my septune. I think the 7 positions was overkill as I usually use only 3 of them. Not having a lockout is an issue with some riders but not me. I mainly sit and spin when I ride and don't do much hard road / fire road where a lockout would be most beneficial.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've ridden exactly two kinds of rear shocks- the Triad on my 2004 FSR, and the Septune on the 2005 FSR 120 that replaced it (I'm right in between frame sizes and switched to a large).

The Septune isn't bad but the the Triad was better, at least for my type of riding- mostly singletrack but does include some long fire road climbs.

To me, the Triad seemed perfect- lockout for smooth climbs, pro-pedal for trail climbing and plush fully open for descending. I'm not sure what the guys at Specialized were smoking when they decided the Triad needed to be "improved" by taking away the lockout and adding not just a couple, or even five, but SEVEN levels of propedal. Talk about overkill...

It is clear to me why the septune lasted only one year. As I mentioned, it isn't bad, doesn;t bob very much really, but I do miss the lockout. And I swear that even the "dead zone" isn't as plush as the fully open setting on the Triad. Why did they f*ck with the Triad when it worked so well? At least they came to their senses this year.

The septune is the only gripe I have about my 2005 FSR, but to be honest it isn't that big of a gripe. It's just kind of annoying that they didn't just stick with the older, simpler, better design...

I'm intrigued by the new brainfade, but based on past experience, I think the 2006 Expert with the Triad is the best value and the bike to choose this year. The brainfade seems heavier, more complicated and perhaps not very well dialed in yet, just like the septune...but time will tell.

mtbr member
    Great post - someone who can directly compare Triad and Septune. Question is - do you think the cost of a new 2006 Triad (whatever that is) would be worth it?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh
    Great post - someone who can directly compare Triad and Septune. Question is - do you think the cost of a new 2006 Triad (whatever that is) would be worth it?
    I guess that would depend on how much a 2006 Triad would cost, if and when they are available as a stand-alone item. I don't have a very good idea what a good quality rear shock costs these days- as I indicated I've only bought complete bikes. But I would guess a new Triad would be kind of spendy ~$300(?)

Personally, I'm not in a huge rush to upgrade. I am not that discriminating of a rider- my 120 is a much better bike than I am a rider and I can make large improvements in ability before I feel like the shock is holding me back much, if it ever does. I did enjoy the somewhat greater efficiency of having a lockout on those long fireroad climbs, but that isn;t enough to send me on an intensive search for a different shock.

I'm taking a "wait and see" approach. I'd like to hear more from folks who get their Septunes "Pushed", how much a 2006 Triad would cost, whether we could trade in our Septunes to Specialized (probably dreaming there) etc.

Also, given the popularity of these bikes, it seems that additional aftermarket shock options might become available over the next year or two. I plan on having this bike for awhile, and rear shocks seem to be an area of fairly rapid technological improvement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have ridden both the 100 Triad and 120 Septune, and I musst agree that I noted less movement-bob using the Triad in pro-pedal mode than the Septune in position 7 of the pro-pedal mode. (I set the proper sag and pressure for the septune with negative results, the shock would seem stiffer when I added 20 PSI over the recommended, but then my sag would be less than 10%).

I just took my 05 SJ PRO in for fall tuneup and I'm thinking of having my septune pushed. Getting it pushed should be cheaper than buying an RP3, since the Triad is not available as an afttermaket model. It sure would be nice if Spec, would allow a trade-in program for those who are not satisfied with the septune.....

I will let the forum know how my pushed shock behaves....
    Last edited by Noah; 10-03-2005 at 02:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey great idea the trade in...I am not happy with my Septune either... my front end is plush my back end either rock hard or to soft and square edge performance sux,,,,,

I preferd my old Float Ava to this can of poop...i've owned manitou swingers both the 3 way and 4 way coil and they were really a much plusher ride than this Septune disaster..

Pushing in the Uk will cost me £90.00 about $140.00 i dont like paying to make the Septune something that it should have been in the first place ...If Fox were doing there job, Pushed would be out of there's.......how can Fox justify there products being moded from new and improved so much, they cant be producing what the customer wants.......grrrrrrrr rant on.

Nothing here
    Yo, I have had my Septune pushed. Let me put it this way, I have a Turner Burner and the Stumpjumper Pro, and I used to ride the Burner all the time becuase I couldn't stand the Septune and the way it bobbed. Now, I would have to say that paying the $ to have the shock pushed was totally worth it. The Stumpie is now my first choice to ride.

Before the mod if I put in the recommended pressure then it was bob city, and if I tried to compensate by adding more air then the bike was harsh and very nonresponsive to smaller hits. Since the Push mod the bike is plush yet takes a bit of standing and mashing to get it to bob. I just rode a hilly trail yesterday with the shock in the dead zone and the bike still climbed and decended better than it ever did before the mod.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

the shock's in the mail....to push

I agree with unknownrash on his septune description - it was a disappointment. My septune arrived at Push today - and I'll be riding it as soon as it gets back. Based on reviews written on pushed rp3's I had to give it a try.

Check back in a week for another pushed septune opinion.

Gravity Rides Everything
    mine should be back from push on thursday. I'll give you guys a full review. I sent it in not because I was unhappy with it's stock performance, but because the propedal crapped out on me. I have 1000 hard offroad miles on the thing with essentially zero maintenance though (probably shoulda changed that oil....) it DID still have rebound too.

At this point in the year I'm busy drooling over the 06 stuff.

mtbr member

Awesome feed back so far...

Thanks everyone for putting in your 2c worth...I'm glad to get all this feedback.

JW

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknownrash
    Yo, I have had my Septune pushed. Let me put it this way, I have a Turner Burner and the Stumpjumper Pro, and I used to ride the Burner all the time becuase I couldn't stand the Septune and the way it bobbed. Now, I would have to say that paying the $ to have the shock pushed was totally worth it. The Stumpie is now my first choice to ride.

Before the mod if I put in the recommended pressure then it was bob city, and if I tried to compensate by adding more air then the bike was harsh and very nonresponsive to smaller hits. Since the Push mod the bike is plush yet takes a bit of standing and mashing to get it to bob. I just rode a hilly trail yesterday with the shock in the dead zone and the bike still climbed and decended better than it ever did before the mod.

Unknownrash:
    What lever settings do you now have on your Pushed Septune?
    You mentioned that you still have the Dead Zone, but do you now only have one or two Platform settings as opposed to the seven Propedal?

Thanks

Nothing here
    The seven settings are still there. It is still splitting hairs with all those those levels so I mainly use either the number 1 setting or the #7setting. The dead zone is very usable even though I thought I would never use it. I did 28 miles this morning and pretty much left it at number 4 though. To me at this point all settings feel pretty good after the Push mod.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Very interesting thread guys, I'm also looking to push my septune during the dead season but just not decide yet. Maybee fox convert it to a triad with lockout, just like on 2006 Stumpies...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanick
    Very interesting thread guys, I'm also looking to push my septune during the dead season but just not decide yet. Maybee fox convert it to a triad with lockout, just like on 2006 Stumpies...
    Yanick,

maybe you, me and a few other of us here can pester Specialized enough to do a 'trade in' program...someone mentioned that idea earlier here. We should all email SPESH every day till we get the answer we're looking for. Being in customer service myself, I bet if we stick with it, it will happen! Eventually, the squeaky wheel(s) get the grease, you know?

What do you all say?

John

memorable member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker75
    Yanick,

maybe you, me and a few other of us here can pester Specialized enough to do a 'trade in' program...someone mentioned that idea earlier here. We should all email SPESH every day till we get the answer we're looking for. Being in customer service myself, I bet if we stick with it, it will happen! Eventually, the squeaky wheel(s) get the grease, you know?

What do you all say?

John
    I'm in.

mtbr member

Huge embarrassment, apologies Fox.

OK guy's i was rather Vociferous about my Septune a couple of posts back slamming it to death and Fox ...I now have to eat some humble (stick in the throat) pie.

I rang "Mojo" in the UK who are fox agents here and discussed the Septune with an engineer there, He told me the Sep Is nothing but an RP3 with extra settings bolted on, i.e. a 7 position switch instead of 3..the valving is identical in every way.

He gave me advice on setting up the shock which worked for me... i spent 2 hours in the woods riding the same trail again and again changing the setting's by as little as a couple of pounds psi, until eventually I found the sweet spot I had been looking for .

And now i have to say the shock feel's just fine for me. and the stumpy is now balanced perfectly between the Pace rc41 Xcam forks and the Septune...I found that just 2 pounds of air make a large difference and I had been adjusting pressure by 10 lbs increments completely missing the right spot

I am now gon’a save my £90.00 and by some XTR goodies

just like a speeder-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mzungo101@yahoo.co.uk
    I rang "Mojo" in the UK who are fox agents here and discussed the Septune with an engineer there, He told me the Sep Is nothing but an RP3 with extra settings bolted on, i.e. a 7 position switch instead of 3..the valving is identical in every way.
    Glad you found your sweet spot! I think, however, you got some misleading info.

I've read (MBA?) that Specialized "detuned" (ie, softened a bit) the pedalling platform for the Septune. That fits with my conclusion, that I wish that the firmest setting was about 10-25% more firm (depending on what mood I'm in).

That also fits w/ how Fox issues the RP3 now. In addition to the on-the-fly, 3-way blue lever, the '06 RP3 comes in 3 overall platform levels (firm, medium, or soft) -- as chosen by the bike manufacturer. If yours comes stock in "firm" but you want "medium" for example, you can send it back to Fox to have that adjusted. See the manual at page 11: http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...arShock_en.pdf

Since they'll adjust the overall firmness of the RP3 now, I called and said "hey how about my Septune?" They said sorry, no, the Septune's seven settings make it to complex to adjust. Oh well. At least PUSH is willing to do it. Again, I actually think it's a great shock -- but Spesh blew it by not making the firmest setting as firm as the Triad.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Barkdog]Glad you found your sweet spot! I think, however, you got some misleading info.

Well i dont know about that Mojo are the only UK. Fox authorised service centre so as far as i am concerned they should no there products probably beter than some Bike jurno..cough!

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by mzungo101@yahoo.co.uk
    Hey great idea the trade in...I am not happy with my Septune either... my front end is plush my back end either rock hard or to soft and square edge performance sux,,,,,

I preferd my old Float Ava to this can of poop...i've owned manitou swingers both the 3 way and 4 way coil and they were really a much plusher ride than this Septune disaster..

Pushing in the Uk will cost me £90.00 about $140.00 i dont like paying to make the Septune something that it should have been in the first place ...If Fox were doing there job, Pushed would be out of there's.......how can Fox justify there products being moded from new and improved so much, they cant be producing what the customer wants.......grrrrrrrr rant on.

push mods the shock based on your weight and riding style. it's impossible for fox to know these things when designing an OEM shock.

mtbr member

So I asked spesh about upgrading....

and here's what they said:

"As of this time, the Triad shock is not available through Fox. For a much better performance of the Septune shock you can send it to Push Industries, http://www.pushindustries.com/. They can also race tune your fork if you want to spend the money, but it is worth it. Many of our customers have sent their shock their with a great outcome."

Thanks,

Ashley
    Specialized Customer Service/Online Store
    1137 South 3800 West
    Salt Lake City UT 84104
    877-808-8154

Funny thing, I wasn't asking if Fox was making the triad available. And how bout them referring me to Push.
    Here's one helluva longshot prediction headline in September 2006 MBA: "PUSH industries introduces breakthrough performance shock!"
    Anyone wanna put a wager on that? I'd bet on PUSH doing it...

Let me know what response you guys (gals) get...

JW