Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Push/Push vs Push/Pull

Ok, let's reopen the debate.

I'm a Shimano guy and used to push/pull shifting. Just bought an Epic with the Sram push/push and trying to weigh the benefits.

Feels weird to me now, but push/push technically leaves more fingers on the bar. That said, Shimano's push/pull allows you to keep the thumb and index in place for shifting.

What's your take on this?
    Last edited by phlegm; 12-18-2012 at 06:23 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hands down SRAM all day long. I have used both and am so pro-SRAM that I may buy my next bike based on if it has SRAM or not. Strictly talking just the shifting method I prefer the SRAM push/push because I can still use the shifters while my fingers are on the brakes.

Bring back the Tour de GA
    I'm fine with either type. It may take me a minute or two to readjust when moving from one to the other, but they both work well.
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I find it easier to change up, whilst standing up, with Shimano. Have to reach under the bar with SRAM, which I don't find easy when leaning over the bars.

mtbr member
    Prior to my '12 SJ Evo I'd never ridden SRAM....was a die hard "pull" shifter. Took me about three rides to completely break the habit. Now when I ride a Shimano kit I only push.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Personally--I like the shimano system way better.. I had a set of xo shifters and just never liked the push/push... Now i have a set of xt shifters and like that i can either push/push or push/pull -- and i like the option to double downshift for faster dumping of gears..

mtbr member
    I don't mind my Sram shifters, however, I love the new XTR stuff, being able to shift with my thumb and pointer finger is awesome

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    SRAM for sure fire me. Guess it's a matter of taste.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest
    Selle Italia Ldy Gel saddles

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Shimano here. Always preferred Shimano. Plus you can push/push with Shimano if you so choose. I did initially (before Shimano did 2-way release) appreciate the push/push of SRAM for wrenching as it was easier to reach the release when stretching yourself to the arse end of the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    can someone explain the difference please

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfony78 View Post
    can someone explain the difference please
    Sorry, I'll backtrack a bit.

I'm used to the standard Shimano shifting setup where you use your thumb and or index finger to shift. The thumb is a push by default, where the finger is effectively a "pull".

I just moved to a SRAM-based bike, where you push both buttons with your thumb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blinder View Post
    I find it easier to change up, whilst standing up, with Shimano. Have to reach under the bar with SRAM, which I don't find easy when leaning over the bars.
    If you still have some SRAM shifters on a bike of yours, try rotating the shifter forward for easier access to the lever and trigger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I can and do pull with SRAM shifters when I think it will be easier than pushing like when standing. I tend to go back and forth based on where my fingers are at any given time.

mtbr member
    SRAM for me. I one finger brake and always keep my finger on the brake so thumb push/push is natural. Even with my XX1 I can go from the hardest gear to the easiest in 2 pushes. I also like the crisp, precise feel of a SRAM shift compared to the quiet and smooth Shimano shift. Definitely just a personal preference.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jhat View Post
    I can and do pull with SRAM shifters when I think it will be easier than pushing like when standing. I tend to go back and forth based on where my fingers are at any given time.
    Can you explain how you're doing this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I prefer the Shimano push/push as you can upshift 2 gears on the XT/XTR shifters.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    I prefer the Shimano push/push as you can upshift 2 gears on the XT/XTR shifters.
    I prefer the 'twist/twist' of SRAM over the 'push/push/pull' of anything else.
    MCH Co-Captain

old fart
    Mar 2010
    The clincher for me with SRAM was that I learned to 1-finger brake (using my index finger). Besides being a much better way to ride XC, this means that a "pull" type shift doesn't work well. So Push-type shifters are essential.

mtbr member
    I spent 10 years on push/pull and in the last year got my first taste of SRAM shifting...ain't goin' back.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech420 View Post
    Hands down SRAM all day long. I have used both and am so pro-SRAM that I may buy my next bike based on if it has SRAM or not. Strictly talking just the shifting method I prefer the SRAM push/push because I can still use the shifters while my fingers are on the brakes.
    I agree

DFMBA.org
    I will be transitioning from all Shimano to all Sram very soon (new ride). The Shimano push/pull feels the most natural if that's even a proper deacriptive here. I do like that I can double-shift quickly on the pull action. It will be interesting to feel the difference, but Im embarrassed to admit that I'll miss the indicator windows. I do look at them.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm gonna build up a 26er with a Sram X7 right trigger,a Shimano XT left shifter, and a Rock Shox DNA motion control powered by a friction shifter on a alt handlebar.
    ...It's space travel time.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    maybe my shifters are different but the shimano slx ones i have on my giant and the ones that are on my new 10 spd epic are the big shifter is push only and the smaller thumb on can be used in both directions. for me they both shift when i need them to so i don't see as much difference besides the sram stuff not being able to be pulled when needed. for the record i only push all the time and have never even thought to use the pull method.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I ditched it all and went with the new SRAM gripshift. Will never go back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast