Thread: PUSH or BETD?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

PUSH or BETD?

I'm trying to breathe a little life back into my '03 Stumpy (at least for another season or two) and was hoping to get some advice from those of you who may have been in a similar situation. I was planning on adding the BETD link to bump the rear suspension to 120mm or at least the 100mm since I'm running a 120mm fork up front. I was also thinking of having PUSH industries valve my Float RL for better performance and platform valving. After speaking with Christina over at PUSH, she said they advise against the BETD link because of leverage ratios, etc. That I can understand. I'm leaning toward sending my shock in to PUSH and bailing on the link but wondered what thoughts any of you might have. I'm not sure if running the two upgrades together really would be bad or if just having better quality travel (PUSH) and little to no bob in the back would be enough. I know the bike is not a big travel bike and don't treat it as such - I just like a little more cush for Moab and rougher cross country/trail riding. Thanks in advance for any advice!

mtbr member
    I have never personally had anything PUSH'ed before but I have known plenty who have and eveyone who I have talked to after they had their shocks worked on have raved about the difference. That being said, I can say that over the years I have purchased two seperate travel links from BETD and I was more then pleased with the outcome of the performance. I had an older FSR that I upgraded with a BEDT link that increased the travel up to 6 inches with the current shock and back in 04 I bought a travel link for my 04 enduro that also gave me a travel range up to 6 inches and believe me, the increase in travel and bump compliance was noticed Granted the leverage ratio is increased but tighten the coil or increase the air and no biggie. Of course I weighed 180lbs which might be a factor, but from both links I could tell an immediate difference with a greater range of travel. And I never had any issues with my frame shocks after the upgrade.

I hope this helps

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Stylie,

Thanks a ton for taking the time to post! I'm torn between more travel vs. better quality travel or both. I'm glad to hear that you've had a great experience with the BETD link - Dan at BETD has been real helpful - I might order the thing and see how it works - then have the shock PUSH'ed depending on how the bike rides after the upgrade. Thanks again for the reply!

Two wheels are best
    Go ULTIMATE UPGRADE and do BOTH!

Hard to say which you'll get the most benefit from. It really depends on your riding (trail types and style) and the condition of your shock.

I sent my Talas RL and Septune to Push last month and have only been able to do two rides since getting them back. In my case at a least, the hype about Push is well justified. It's like having a brand new bike!

I really didn't know just how bad things were until I was into my first ride with the Pushed shocks. It was that noticable...just a few miles in to the route and I was grinning from ear to ear!

Of course, I have bit more travel with my '05 FSR than you do...hence my suggestion to do both...
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

...idios...
    When did you last have your shock serviced?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    DM-SC - thanks for your input too - your plan was my original plan - that is to do both things. It would be about the same price as buying a new RP23 - a no-brainer for me at the time. The fly in the ointment was after talking to the folks at PUSH and how much they advised against adding the link. Their concern is that the greater leverage and forces on the existing shock with the added linkage are really hard on the internals of the shock and can cause it to wear out very quickly (even without any outward visible signs). I actually just spoke to Darrin over at PUSH, and I don't think that they would (knowingly) service a shock any more that will go back on a bike with the modified link. I know they've done it in the past - must be a reason they are so against it today. Anyway, as much as I want a little more travel, I think I'll start by taking the advice from those who've had great luck with PUSH and from those who will be doing the work and send in my shock to PUSH and see how much of a difference that makes. I guess the link is still an option - but ultimately, I'm thinking that more travel=new bike.

I'll post my thoughts on the upgrade in case anyone else is in the same boat - thanks again for the advice!

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Bignslow, There's some good info here, if you haven't checked this out yet- http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Shock_Up...ct_22857.shtml

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would do both. I did for my old FSR and it was fantastic. I first had the BETD link with a Stratos shock, which worked really well. I changed that out to a Vanilla R that I ended up getting PUSHED. Change the bike completely. Was and still is a great bike.