Back at it and LOVIN' it!

Purgatory replacing Eskar?

Is the Purgatory the new go to all-mountain tire Specialized is offering...seems the Eskars are being phased out?
    Ride Hard - Ride Safe - Have Fun

Go s#!t...I'm not a fish

I love my Purgatory tires. They seem to be doing pretty good as my front tire. I've got no complaints so far

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    I love my Purgatory tires. They seem to be doing pretty good as my front tire. I've got no complaints so far
    I had the Purgatory wash out on me several times on the front... It is currently on my rear. It provides better corner handling than the Ground Control i had before, but as soon as it wears out, I am going to go with a GC again. The Butcher on the front was a much better fit for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
    I had the Purgatory wash out on me several times on the front... It is currently on my rear. It provides better corner handling than the Ground Control i had before, but as soon as it wears out, I am going to go with a GC again. The Butcher on the front was a much better fit for my needs.

odd, I'm running a set-up similar to yours but backwards. lol. Purgs up front and GC in the rear. I'm really liking the Ground Control as my rear tire. I thought about putting a Ground Control as my front tire too. I currently have a new Captain tire waiting to be put on. Im not sure if I want it as a front or rear tire. It's probably going to sit on the side till one of my current tires wear out.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm running Purg front & GC rear & couldn't be happier. The thing about the Purg is you need to lean into it hard so the side tread grabs, if you don't there's a dead spot between the center & side tread & you will washout.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just switched from a Eskar F&R setup to a Purgatory 2.3 F and Ground Control 2.3 R setup. Have only a quick 60 minute ride on the new setup so I can't give a full review, but I can say it is a lot lighter and a lot faster rolling than the Eskars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    I'm running Purg front & GC rear & couldn't be happier. The thing about the Purg is you need to lean into it hard so the side tread grabs, if you don't there's a dead spot between the center & side tread & you will washout.
    Just put a purg 2.2 Sworks on the front of my stumpy yesterday. I thought the same looking at the tread pattern. Rounded profile like most Spleash tires (GC & captain). Didn't notice a dead spot but then I was taking it easy in the loose corners and a lot of others where I was riding was bermed.
    Replacing maxxis Ignitor which has been excellent front tire but heavy (although 1/3 of the Sworks price)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I use to run Eskars on my bike for a couple years. In my opinion, their knobs are not large enough for the type of riding the tire is suppose to provide. I would stay away from the Eskars, if you want to run an aggressive lean over type tire, the Butcher is what you want.

If you want to run the purgatory, put it on the rear. I have never tried these tires, but from what I have read, they are a good rear tire. A lot of complaints when ran on the front.

Remember, how tires perform really depend on how you ride and what type of soil you ride on.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by camarosam View Post
    I use to run Eskars on my bike for a couple years. In my opinion, their knobs are not large enough for the type of riding the tire is suppose to provide. I would stay away from the Eskars, if you want to run an aggressive lean over type tire, the Butcher is what you want.

If you want to run the purgatory, put it on the rear. I have never tried these tires, but from what I have read, they are a good rear tire. A lot of complaints when ran on the front.

Remember, how tires perform really depend on how you ride and what type of soil you ride on.
    I've read & experienced the opposite.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've read & experienced the opposite.
    Such is life I guess. Different riders, different locations.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website

kdh
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I use the Purgatory front and rear or a GC rear with the Purg up front- love it.
    I tried the GC as a front tire too and did not like it- the Purgatory is far more predictable and a very good allround tire.

Btw seems the Butcher Control is discontinued too...

Klaus

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by camarosam View Post
    Such is life I guess. Different riders, different locations.
    I ride north San Diego Co, south Orange Co, high desert (Palm Springs), Prescott Az & El Paso, Tx. All of those locations are rocky & eat side walls for breakfast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post

Btw seems the Butcher Control is discontinued too...

Klaus
    I noticed that also.... I am a pretty big fan of the Butcher as a front tire. I am going to check my LBS's to see if they have any in stock and pick one up for when my current wears down.

I think the Clutch is probably the next closest thing, but it is heavier than the Butcher, so I'd rather just stick with that one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I ride north San Diego Co, south Orange Co, high desert (Palm Springs), Prescott Az & El Paso, Tx. All of those locations are rocky & eat side walls for breakfast.
    Ok. I'm from socal as well, but keep all my riding north of Fullerton and south of the high deserts. With the majority of my riding being done in the mountains. I've never tried the Purgs, so I can't comment on those. But my brother runs Captians front and rear, and for a trail bike, they are great tires.

I'm running stock nevegals(2.35) in the rear and cut-nevegals(2.5) on the front, and actually am liking this setup very much. But I think my next setup will be a Minion dhf in the front, and either an ignitor or dhr2 in the rear.

Website