MTB B'dos

Purgatory cut, thoughts?

SO I've run and tested Maxxis tyres now for over 2 years and never had a sidewall cut/sliced, not a Specialized fan, but thought I'd give the new Purgatory in Control casing a shot - expensive shot Do they have a replacement program for such incidents? Couldn't believe that it sliced the casing like it did, but going all the way up through the tread was the real surprise. Luckily I had a quite big plastic tyre boot and finished the ride, thinking if no option for discounted replacement etc I'll just patch and stitch it and use it as a rear only.

Purgatory cut, thoughts?-dsc_4665.jpg
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

FKA Malibu412
    For me, while I like the traction and performance of Specialized tires, I find the sidewalls to be quite thin and they do not hold up well, especially the S-Works and Controls. I recently tossed an S-Works Ground Control I had on the rear with only a year of riding and lots of tread left because the sidewall threads were showing and it had begun to separate with the tube bulging through in a couple places. Meanwhile, I run Nevs on the fronts of a couple bikes and they are 3 years old without a problem other than the tread is starting to look a little tired. They are pigs, though. I ride each bike with the Specialized/Nev combo several hundred miles a year. Probably going to switch brands for rear tires, unless I want something lighter for racing.

Check with Specialized direct or with an LBS. They may offer some replacement help.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Love all Specialized tires but i do agree on their very thin sidewalls even at Control level. That's why I keep them at a very high pressure.

Bad cut,where were you ? Floating on spiked rocks at a low pressure ?

MTB B'dos
    Yes, out on the sea cliffs which are coralstone, was running about 27PSI as a rear on a Flow rim tubeless, weigh about 180-185lbs geared to ride. Have ridden out here numerous times before on Maxxis TLR/EXO rubber with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Love all Specialized tires but i do agree on their very thin sidewalls even at Control level. That's why I keep them at a very high pressure.

Bad cut,where were you ? Floating on spiked rocks at a low pressure ?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Class Clown
    that's disappointing, i've run the sport versions I'm guessing they are tougher stuff

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Go by your LBS and have them give Specialized a shout. The tire looks pretty new, so they might be willing to warranty it. Worth a try.

MTB B'dos
    Unfortunately that would be Miami and I live down in the Caribbe4an, but still going to e-mail/ring a shop I deal with and see what they say. Yes, brand new, only the 3rd ride on it, less than 30 miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by owensjs View Post
    Go by your LBS and have them give Specialized a shout. The tire looks pretty new, so they might be willing to warranty it. Worth a try.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Unfortunately that would be Miami and I live down in the Caribbe4an, but still going to e-mail/ring a shop I deal with and see what they say. Yes, brand new, only the 3rd ride on it, less than 30 miles.
    Specialized has a satisfaction guarantee on their tires for 90 days. You can exchange them for another tire (or maybe a credit) for any reason you want.

You need to buy them from a dealer and have the receipt. Some dealers will swap them for you no questions asked and others may hassle you first, but they should eventually help you out. If they don't you should be able to contact Specialized customer support.

If you decide to give the Specialized tires another shot I'd go for a grid casing. I ride them all the time and haven't had any trouble with them.

Spec Tech FAQ: Specialized Bicycle Components
    Search: :"Is there a satisfaction guarantee on Specialized tires?"

eBiker
    Yes, out on the sea cliffs which are coralstone, was running about 27PSI as a rear on a Flow rim tubeless, weigh about 180-185lbs geared to ride. Have ridden out here numerous times before on Maxxis TLR/EXO rubber with no issues.
    You answered your own question.

Sidewall protection... ALWAYS!

They make a sidewall protection version if you like the rest of the tire.

P

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, only problem is that it's sposed to weight 1,000g for the 29er version and for what the tyre is I just can't accept that, all my Maxxis tyres of similar application design are well under 900g, closer to 800g with the EXO casing. If that is my only option for some help/replacement, then I'll go that route, but this'll be my first and last Special tyre.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

eBiker
    Yeah, only problem is that it's sposed to weight 1,000g for the 29er version and for what the tyre is I just can't accept that, all my Maxxis tyres of similar application design are well under 900g, closer to 800g with the EXO casing. If that is my only option for some help/replacement, then I'll go that route, but this'll be my first and last Special tyre.

Here is the one I am referring to "Armadillo Elite" they are light, but it looks like they don't have them in 29 :/
    The Armadillo casing is like EXO, is light and tough - but is a bit stiff.
    Specialized Bicycle Components

P

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, I know about the Armadillo casing, would have got it if they offered it in 29er version Not quite sure why they don't since they're pushing 29ers so hard
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Here is the one I am referring to "Armadillo Elite" they are light, but it looks like they don't have them in 29 :/
    The Armadillo casing is like EXO, is light and tough - but is a bit stiff.
    Specialized Bicycle Components

P
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

eBiker
    Not quite sure why they don't since they're pushing 29ers so hard
    And the Enduro will need that casing too!

P