mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Purgatory Control 2.3 Measured in at 2.1????

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a Purgatory Control 2.3 for my brother's stumpy as a front tire. Well once I fitted it to the rim it looked very small, so I measured it and got 2.1 inches.

He has a Captain 2.2 on the rear and I measured this tire as well and got 2.2; larger than the Purgatory with a proclaimed size of 2.3.

Specialized tires are usually spot on, can't believe that it's so much smaller than the proclaimed size. Especially smaller than the Captains which is a more cross country oriented tire.

Do I have a misprinted tire?

Thank you.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

official eMpTyBRain
    I can clearly see that my 29X2.3 Purgatory's (Control casing) are wider than my 29X2.1 S-Works Ground Controls.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Class Clown
    Are you using calipers?

Some measurements I took on a 19mm rim, high psi:

Purgatory Sport 2.2 (old tire) - 2.24
    Purgatory Control 2.3 - 2.2

Ground Control 2.1 - 2.0
    Captain Sport 2.0 - 2.1

They do seem to be running narrower than stated though, except the captain.

I'm wondering how the Purg 2.4 measures up as well as the GC 2.3. Although they only make 2.4 Purg in Armadillo I believe. Captain's seem to come nice and wide with high volume.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The tires are on a 420sl rim, I think they're 19mm wide, but not 100 percent sure.

I measured it with a ruler placing it directly over the tread, both tires blown up with the same air pressure. I also measured my nevegal 2.35 and got an actual 2.35. Not sure if this is the correct way of measuring, but this is how I've been measuring tires.

These tires are just sooo small: the hight and volume. My nevegal 2.35 is almost twice the size of the purgatory 2.3. Something just can't be right.

I'm taking the whole rim in today and am going to compare it with tires already installed on bikes, then we'll see.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    Are you using calipers?

Some measurements I took on a 19mm rim, high psi:

Purgatory Sport 2.2 (old tire) - 2.24
    Purgatory Control 2.3 - 2.2

Ground Control 2.1 - 2.0
    Captain Sport 2.0 - 2.1

They do seem to be running narrower than stated though, except the captain.

I'm wondering how the Purg 2.4 measures up as well as the GC 2.3. Although they only make 2.4 Purg in Armadillo I believe. Captain's seem to come nice and wide with high volume.
    I am holding them side by side on two different wheel sets and looking down on them.

I've ridden the Purgs and GCs on the same terrain a bunch of times now. The CG has a better overall traction rate for my terrain which includes hard pack, loose over hard pack, cat litter, and sugar sand. The Purgs float better over sugar sand and cat litter but I think that is because they are a little wider. The Purgs are little scary leaning into hard turns because of the open area between the center knobs and the side knobs but they haven't broken loose. The GCs feel consistent all the way through the turn at any angle and they are actually difficult to spin out on steep climbing as long as you stay seated.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Class Clown
    I should add I have 26" wheels if that makes a difference.

I was running Purg front/Captain rear which worked well but the GC looked like a good meaty climbing tread. I like the softer casing as well on the control for grip. Haven't had enough time on the Purg/GC yet but they seem to handle well.

mtbr member

Re: Purgatory Control 2.3 Measured in at 2.1????

Quote Originally Posted by camarosam View Post
    Hello everyone,

I just purchased a Purgatory Control 2.3 for my brother's stumpy as a front tire. Well once I fitted it to the rim it looked very small, so I measured it and got 2.1 inches.

He has a Captain 2.2 on the rear and I measured this tire as well and got 2.2; larger than the Purgatory with a proclaimed size of 2.3.

Specialized tires are usually spot on, can't believe that it's so much smaller than the proclaimed size. Especially smaller than the Captains which is a more cross country oriented tire.

Do I have a misprinted tire?

Thank you.
    I noticed the same. I had a 2.2 Captain control on the front, put it on the back and installed 2.3 Purgatory Grid on the front. The Purgatory measures 2.1 wide while the Captains 2.2. Still handling great on the trail.

Sent from my Android in the great outdoors.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Good replies everyone.

Well I went to my lbs and the tire is correct, the Purgs just run a little smaller; volume wise when compared to the Captains.

The majority of the riding will be on loose over hardpack, and super hard pack conditions. I got to ride them yesterday and they are getting the job done, they may be a tad narrower but offer much better traction than the captains 2.2. Its just a mental thing when you look down at such a narrow tire, but no complaints about the grip, thats for sure.

Thanks everyone.

Website

Class Clown
    I think I see what's happening. You are comparing to the Captain 2.2. The Captain 2.0 actually is more like a 2.1. So I'm guessing the 2.2 is more like a 2.3. And the Purg 2.3 is more like a 2.2.

I think you'd be happy with a Purg 2.3 front/Captain 2.0 rear, which is basically a 2.2/2.1 combo. Or a Purg 2.4/Cap 2.2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah, the 2.3 Purg is the same size as a 2.1 Captain. My brother is going to go with either a 2.1 or 2.2 on the rear in another tire.

Website