mnm
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Purchasing 2008 Comp Enduro - advice

i am in the process of purchasing a 2008 enduro comp locally, it is a used bike but in very good condition, i have asked the seller about the fork and rear shock as i have heard some 07/08 models had issues and got a response that they have been rebuilt with the 2009 "update".

anyways my main concern is what to look for in a used bike like this? are the components listed below decent? what about warranty, if something breaks, fork, shock etc will my local bike shop that's a specialized dealer take care of it or will i have to pay for the repair since i did not purchase the bike from them? i am pretty good with them, have purchased two hard tail Trek bikes previously from them but sadly both got stolen...

also the size is perfect for me, i am going to be heading out this weekend to take a look at it and possibly purchase it. i was able to demo one at my LBS and it really fit me very well, better than others on display and the bike itself it priced perfect for my budget...

i also have another fall back bike in case this deal does not go through or i am unable to find another decent 2008 enduro at a reasonable price, the bike is the remedy 7, 2009 with stock components, any suggestions on the remedy?

any help or tips would me much appreciated, thanks!
    -------------

here are some pictures and its specs:

Specs:

Frame
    Enduro M5 alloy, fully manipulated frame w/ ORE TT and DT, forged HT, sealed cartridge bearing pivots, ISCG mount adj. geometry, replaceable derailleur hanger, 150mm travel
    REAR SHOCK
    Specialized AFR Shock w/ Spike valve, air spring, adjustable rebound and low speed compression, 7.875x2.25"
    FORK
    Specialized Future Shock e150SL, dual crown w/ integrated stem, 150mm travel, rebound, compresion and travel adjust, 25mm thru axle, alloy steerer
    HEADSET
    1 1/8" threadless, alloy cups w/ 10mm insertion, sealed cartridge bearing
    STEM
    Specialized Future Shock, 31.8mm clamp integrated w/ fork
    HANDLEBARS
    Specialized Enduro mid rise bar, 6066 alloy, 31.8mm, 6 degree up, 9 degree backsweep, 660mm wide
    TAPE/GRIPS
    Specialized thin lock on grip, dual density
    FRONT BRAKE
    Custom Avid Juicy 5 SL, hydraulic disc, 203mm rotor
    REAR BRAKE
    Custom Avid Juicy 5 SL, hydraulic disc, 185mm rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS
    Custom Avid Juicy 5 SL, hydraulic disc
    FRONT DERAILLEUR
    Shimano M581 LX, DMD, top swing, dual pull
    REAR DERAILLEUR
    SRAM X-9, 9-speed, mid cage
    SHIFT LEVERS
    SRAM X-7, aluminum 9-speed trigger
    CASSETTE FREEWHEEL
    Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 11-34t
    CHAIN
    SRAM PC-971 w/ Power Link
    CRANKSET
    Shimano A/A/S 2pc custom
    CHAINRINGS
    22S/32A/44A, 4 bolt 104/64mm
    BOTTOM BRACKET
    Shimano M542, 2pc custom for Specialized
    PEDALS
    N/A
    RIMS
    DT Swiss custom for Specialized X420, 24mm w/ eyelets, 28/32h
    FRONT HUB
    Specialized disc, 25mm thru axle, 32h
    REAR HUB
    Shimano custom M525SL hub for Specialized, 32h, alloy QR
    SPOKES
    DT Swiss 1.8mm stainless, alloy nipples
    FRONT TIRE
    S-Works Eskar, 26x2.3", 120 TPI, aramid tubeless ready bead, dual compound
    REAR TIRE
    S-Works Eskar, 26x2.3", 120 TPI, aramid tubeless ready bead, dual compound
    TUBES
    Specialized Ultralite, .6mm, presta
    SADDLE
    Specialized Enduro, hollow Cr-Mo rails, SL foam
    SEAT POST
    2014 butted alloy, single bolt setback, 30.9 x 350/400mm
    SEAT BINDER
    Alloy collar w/ QR, 34.9mm clamp ID

And a Bell
    Images attached:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Purchasing 2008 Comp Enduro - advice-5.jpg  

Purchasing 2008 Comp Enduro - advice-6.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images              

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm
    i am in the process of purchasing a 2008 enduro comp locally, it is a used bike but in very good condition, i have asked the seller about the fork and rear shock as i have heard some 07/08 models had issues and got a response that they have been rebuilt with the 2009 "update".

anyways my main concern is what to look for in a used bike like this? are the components listed below decent? what about warranty, if something breaks, fork, shock etc will my local bike shop that's a specialized dealer take care of it or will i have to pay for the repair since i did not purchase the bike from them? i am pretty good with them, have purchased two hard tail Trek bikes previously from them but sadly both got stolen...

also the size is perfect for me, i am going to be heading out this weekend to take a look at it and possibly purchase it. i was able to demo one at my LBS and it really fit me very well, better than others on display and the bike itself it priced perfect for my budget...

i also have another fall back bike in case this deal does not go through or i am unable to find another decent 2008 enduro at a reasonable price, the bike is the remedy 7, 2009 with stock components, any suggestions on the remedy?

any help or tips would me much appreciated, thanks!
    -------------

here are some pictures and its specs:

Images attached:

With any used bike you don't get a warranty since it is only to the first purchaser, so that is something to consider. Both bikes that you are looking at are great rides! I had an 08 Enduro Expert and spent a good amount of time on the Remedy at a demo and I would say that the Enduro climbs slightly better but the Remedy feels a bit more plush. You can't go wrong with either, so I guess it comes down to asking price.

Good Luck!!!
    Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Bring a shock pump with you. Probably want to check the following:

- spike valve is set between 50 - 55 psi
    - set the pressures to your recommended weight
    - when you set the fork to climb mode and then switch it back to normal, the fork returns to its normal position
    - adjust compression and rebound and make sure you feel it click into place AND that you feel a difference when you adjust them
    - listen for any noises in the fork (clunking)

If you can take it out for a ride on a trail. That's the best way to get a feel for it. Good luck!

-edit-

I recently picked up an 08 Enduro Comp as well and I had it dropped off at my not so LBS. Both the fork did not work properly and since I'm not the original owner, I had to shell out almost $300 to have it repaired. No Enduro for at least 1 week. Ugh. Be careful when buying second hand. That 5 year warranty is completely useless for 2nd hand owners.
    Last edited by dtang21; 10-31-2009 at 02:33 AM.

RustyUK
    Sep 2008
    Hi,
    I take it you're in the UK as that looks like an 08 UK comp? I have a large(I'm 6'1) and, for the money, the components have lasted really well. I had the fork and shock serviced at TF tuned http://www.tftunedshox.com/ and it transformed the ride. Ride it a good few times first to see what you like/don't like and then, when you book the service, Tim, or one of the staff will ask you how you like it setting up. It costs about 85 per item, service is excellent and I got them back within about 4 days, specifically set up to my weight/ride preference. I have ridden an 09 with the 150mm fox fork and it isn't a patch on the E150, which is much stiffer, tracks much better and is far more plush.

The only other things to consider are the wheels, I have upgraded mine for Sun MTX's as I managed to taco both in the pyrenees this summer. Also, I have switched the stem for a shorter (60mm) one which makes it much easier to loft the front end without compromising its climbing ability.

Overall, the only bike out there that I would consider replacing mine with now would be the 2010 enduro! Get it!!!!!!!!!

mnm
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    thanks for all the tips and help guys, i am located in California, USA BTW. still was not able to take a look at the bike but will be able to do so mon/tue, also i assume that the frame is also not covered under the specialized warrant plan?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    As long the current as is condition is good (see: everything currently works) , you are ok with paying for all maintenance, and you are ok with the way the AFR rear shock feels, I'd say go for it. Yeah, you don't have the frame warranty, but the amount of Enduro SL frame failures I've seen reported on here fit on one hand, and most of those were guys flexing the limits of this bike. Since I've had the 08 internals in the E-150 and the 08 AFR shock, i've had zero suspension problems. Specialized also now offers a sendaway service to custom tune the suspension for you. Its spendy but I just sent away so I'll make a post about it after its all done and I've ridden a few times.

The Geometry is awesome and the bike has an alternate shock position and instant travel adjust to make it ready for a WIDE range of riding. As with any fork, the E-150 needs to be properly setup and tweaked to your liking, but once you find it its a sweet ride. One of the better ones out there. Eats curbs for breakfast and drinks down the chatter pumps.

mnm
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for all the tips guys, it all help me out this week, i was not able to get the bike listed above. But my LBS had two specialized 08 enduro's comp SL new on the racks, was able to dial into the large and ride it for a couple min outside to get a feel for it, was only able to check the XL in store as time was limited.

Anyways, i was a little confused as the large should have fit me good which it did except one grippe, the XL seemed a little more slack and had a better feel although the LBS said that i should go with the Large size since i am 5'10' - 5'11', but when i rode the large size outside it felt as if the angle of my body is slightly tilted forward when i was sitting in a sense, maybe because of the size (shorter bike), not much but enough for me to notice, the LBS said they can adjust that through the front fork, and that feel is normal (please note i am coming from a hard tail MTB background all my life)

Any opinions or tips on this experience? it this normal? if so i m ready to make the purchase. Also the final price is $2,600, is that too much for a 2008 new model with life time frame warranty and 5 years components (shocks) warranty? it was originally priced at around $4,400 on the tag, i was at another local bike shop in the los angeles area and was able to get a price on a 2010 enduro comp which was $2,500, i might have heard the guy wrong or something because it doesn't make sense, will be giving him a call tomorrow...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2008

Enduro Comp

I am 5'10 and I ride the medium. The large felt big. I bought mine for 2k five months ago. If you get it from the dealer make sure they put the suspension upgrades in it before you roll it out the door. You will save yourself two weeks of riding when they have to be upgraded no matter what.. If they say its been fixed already I would be leery.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the tips guys, it all help me out this week, i was not able to get the bike listed above. But my LBS had two specialized 08 enduro's comp SL new on the racks, was able to dial into the large and ride it for a couple min outside to get a feel for it, was only able to check the XL in store as time was limited.

Anyways, i was a little confused as the large should have fit me good which it did except one grippe, the XL seemed a little more slack and had a better feel although the LBS said that i should go with the Large size since i am 5'10' - 5'11', but when i rode the large size outside it felt as if the angle of my body is slightly tilted forward when i was sitting in a sense, maybe because of the size (shorter bike), not much but enough for me to notice, the LBS said they can adjust that through the front fork, and that feel is normal (please note i am coming from a hard tail MTB background all my life)

Any opinions or tips on this experience? it this normal? if so i m ready to make the purchase. Also the final price is $2,600, is that too much for a 2008 new model with life time frame warranty and 5 years components (shocks) warranty? it was originally priced at around $4,400 on the tag, i was at another local bike shop in the los angeles area and was able to get a price on a 2010 enduro comp which was $2,500, i might have heard the guy wrong or something because it doesn't make sense, will be giving him a call tomorrow...

Thanks!
    I'm just under 6 feet and I ride an XL with an 80mm stem. I have long arms, so the cockpit feels more comfortable than the large, and having a longer wheelbase seems to benefit both climbing and descending.

mtbr member
    ...my LBS had two specialized 08 enduro's comp SL new on the racks... the final price is $2,600...it was originally priced at around $4,400 on the tag, i was at another local bike shop in the los angeles area and was able to get a price on a 2010 enduro comp which was $2,500, i might have heard the guy wrong or something because it doesn't make sense, will be giving him a call tomorrow...

Thanks!
    Are you SURE those two bikes you touched were Comp's? My 07 Comp was $2800 spankin new with no special deals. I think the 08's were more due to the economy, $3200 or something for the Comp in 08 even though it was barely changed in parts spec from the 07.

Anyways, $2600 is much too much for an 08 Comp. I would try to talk them down a bit more. Call them out on that ridiculous $4,000+ price tag. They've been sitting on that for two years and should be willing to close it out.

Regarding the feel:

The bike is very adjustable. It has two shock positions and the sliders can be moved in the crown. If you want it, you can get the bike pretty damn slack. Also make sure you are fitted before leaving with a new bike. They may have extra stem lengths to swap out if you need a different one. if not, they can get them from Specialized.

mnm
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chameleoneel
    Are you SURE those two bikes you touched were Comp's? My 07 Comp was $2800 spankin new with no special deals. I think the 08's were more due to the economy, $3200 or something for the Comp in 08 even though it was barely changed in parts spec from the 07.

Anyways, $2600 is much too much for an 08 Comp. I would try to talk them down a bit more. Call them out on that ridiculous $4,000+ price tag. They've been sitting on that for two years and should be willing to close it out.

Regarding the feel:

The bike is very adjustable. It has two shock positions and the sliders can be moved in the crown. If you want it, you can get the bike pretty damn slack. Also make sure you are fitted before leaving with a new bike. They may have extra stem lengths to swap out if you need a different one. if not, they can get them from Specialized.

My thoughts exactly regarding the price, i was a little baffled since it was also an 08 model, i although was going to talk to them about price before i purchased it but was not sure about it, will see if i can talk to someone else when i am there on Friday and see what they say about the price, i am not sure about the 4 grand price tag, that's what i think i recall, anyways what would be a decent / resonable price tag you think the shop would or should lower it too?

Thanks for the help...

mtbr member
    Well, if its the awesome orange/yellow/white/black paint, I'd shamelessly pay more for it. But I think in general, $2200 is the most I'd pay.

The 2010 Comp's MSRP is $2800, if you can get it for $2500 new, that's pretty nice since they JUST came out. If you are willing to spend that much on a bike anyway, you may as well try it if they have one. Its slacker out of the box, which you may like more. Though I'm not sure if the Comp has any sort of travel adjust up front like the E150 on the 08, for those extra steep climbs. The rear is said to be better, but I haven't seen any real ride reports yet myself to confidently say that.

mnm
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    its the same exact color scheme as the comp pictured in the first post of the thread, black / gray / white... will see what happens this Friday regarding price though... i do hope they are willing to negotiate the price a little.

Loser
    I agree that $2,600 is too much for that bike - I got my '08 Expert for $2,400 in August of '08, though it was a demo with one ride on it.

I am just about 6' with a 34" inseam and ride a large '08 Expert. Originally I did feel like the cockpit was a bit short and was looking for a longer stem, but after riding it for a few weeks, I really like it. I think you have to remember that its not a true XC machine, so the riding position is a bit more laid back. You can move the stanchions down (I run mine at the lowest position) and move the rear shock in the "slack" position.

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mnm
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch
    I agree that $2,600 is too much for that bike - I got my '08 Expert for $2,400 in August of '08, though it was a demo with one ride on it.

I am just about 6' with a 34" inseam and ride a large '08 Expert. Originally I did feel like the cockpit was a bit short and was looking for a longer stem, but after riding it for a few weeks, I really like it. I think you have to remember that its not a true XC machine, so the riding position is a bit more laid back. You can move the stanchions down (I run mine at the lowest position) and move the rear shock in the "slack" position.

John
    They did have a demo Enduro expert unit for the same price of $2,600, it was greenish blue of some sorts, components on it are amazing, sadly no warranty... i would have gotten it right away.

Also thanks for the feedback on the riding style, i am definitely sure i will get the use of it pretty fast after dialing it in to my likings even more.

mnm
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well the guy has his mind set on $2600 for the 2008 enduro comp. They also quoted me $2,500 for the 2010 enduro comp. I also basically called all LBS around south California and non had any in stock except one in Santa Monica, but it was the 2008 Enduro Expert "pro carbon" for $4,400

Thanks for all the help guys, now its time to lay everything on the table and see which is my best choice, lol...
    Last edited by mnm; 11-06-2009 at 04:26 PM.

mtbr member

this baby is up for grab..

I'm planning to sell my '08 Enduro sl comp.
    Size is medium....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Purchasing 2008 Comp Enduro - advice-enduro-sl-1.jpg