mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Pulled the trigger! Epic Comp

Well, after fumbling around for a couple months now over what FS to get I ended up bringing an Epic comp home from the LBS last night I had been really torn between an Epic and a Stumpjumper FSR. I got to take the test bikes out a couple times are decided that the Epic would work well for me. (I really wanted a Stumpy Expert deep down... but they were just a bit too much $$). I loved the way the Stumpy went downhill... but I am going to be using this bike for racing, and just couldn't deal with the Triad. I figure that if I ever want to, I can slap on a little longer travel fork (Or a Talas) on the bike to slacken the head tube angle some.

I wasn't actually planning on getting one yesterday, but they made me an offer I couldn't refuse (Always nice to know the owner ) I already have a last generation XTR crank, Thompson seatpost, stem, and different saddle laying around that I am going to swap onto it. Now, I just have to come up with some lighter wheels for racing. I also need some more burly tires for general trailriding. I'm thinking either the Resolution Pro 2.1s or maybe some Kenda Nevegals.

I'm pretty excited about getting this bike. My Stumpy HT was just beating the crap out of me on rough trails. And I wanted a new toy Now I have to decide if I want to keep the HT, sell it, or maybe convert it to a SS. Seems sad to convert it to SS though, since it's a 2006 model.

Now all I need is for it to warm up a little so I can get out and ride! ugh.... HIGH tomorrow is going to be like 4*.... come on spring!
    Last edited by briscoelab; 02-05-2007 at 04:24 PM.

The Other Dude
    Congrats on the new bike....you will love it! Welcome to the FSR family!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm in the same position. I'm looking for some comfort and control, and wastorn between the SJ and the Epic. After riding the SJ, I decided it was a little too AM and not enough XC. I'm probably going to go the route of the Epic Comp as well.

Post some pics!

mtbr member
    Good Choice! Yes post pics.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab
    Well, after fumbling around for a couple months now over what FS to get I ended up bringing an Epic comp home from the LBS last night I had been really torn between an Epic and a Stumpjumper FSR. I got to take the test bikes out a couple times are decided that the Epic would work well for me. (I really wanted a Stumpy Expert deep down... but they were just a bit too much $$). I loved the way the Stumpy went downhill... but I am going to be using this bike for racing, and just couldn't deal with the Triad. I figure that if I ever want to, I can slap on a little longer travel fork (Or a Talas) on the bike to slacken the head tube angle some.

I wasn't actually planning on getting one yesterday, but they made me an offer I couldn't refuse (Always nice to know the owner ) I already have a last generation XR crank, Thompson seatpost, stem, and different saddle laying around that I am going to swap onto it. Now, I just have to come up with some lighter wheels for racing. I also need some more burly tires for general trailriding. I'm thinking either the Resolution Pro 2.1s or maybe some Kenda Nevegals.

I'm pretty excited about getting this bike. My Stumpy HT was just beating the crap out of me on rough trails. And I wanted a new toy Now I have to decide if I want to keep the HT, sell it, or maybe convert it to a SS. Seems sad to convert it to SS though, since it's a 2006 model.

Now all I need is for it to warm up a little so I can get out and ride! ugh.... HIGH tomorrow is going to be like 4*.... come on spring!
    Cool... maybe consider also the Schwalbe Nobby Nics, similar to the Nevegals but they tell me less rolling resistance. The nevegals are great! Just go Stick-e in front and DTC at the rear.

mtbr member
    Just be careful with your XT? crank. If it's older then 4 years your front dérailleur may not work. Bent an XTR front der. doing that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleymtnbiker1
    Just be careful with your XT? crank. If it's older then 4 years your front dérailleur may not work. Bent an XTR front der. doing that.
    Sorry, that was a typo. It is an XTR crank. It's the pervious gen one.... so I think I'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    So I'm really lazy and just now got around to taking some pics of the bike.

I got some 2.25" Nobby Nics, and an XT cassette to go on it as well. They should show up today, hopefully. Thompson seat post and an M960 XTR crankset as mentioned before are waiting for my lazy butt to install them as well.

I decided to have a go at building a wheelset for the first time too. I ordered some DT Swiss 4.2D rims earlier this week. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with 240s hubs, as they seem like a good product for the money. I was considering WTB Laser Lite hubs, but I want something that wil hold up to bad weather a bit better. Hopefully I'll be able to get the hubs the first part of next month, when my bank account has a little time to recover Then it will either be laced with Wheelsmith DB14 spokes or DT Super Comps. I think that should build a solid, fairly light wheelset.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Congrats on the Epic!

The NNs are great tires you will love them.

I highly recommend converting the HT to SS... it's great fun!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Congrats on the Epic!

The NNs are great tires you will love them.

I highly recommend converting the HT to SS... it's great fun!!!
    I've considered that. But I found a guy locally that wants to buy my Stumpy. I hate to part with it... but the money will finance a lot of upgrades to the Epic and leave some cash to spare.

I'm thinking of getting a K-monkey frame for a SS rig.... either that or a cross check with 45mm wide tires. I race a lot of CX, so a backup SS bike wouldn't be a bad idea.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab
    I've considered that. But I found a guy locally that wants to buy my Stumpy. I hate to part with it... but the money will finance a lot of upgrades to the Epic and leave some cash to spare.

I'm thinking of getting a K-monkey frame for a SS rig.... either that or a cross check with 45mm wide tires. I race a lot of CX, so a backup SS bike wouldn't be a bad idea.
    That sounds like a good plan... you could also look at JensonUSA's Zion frames (26 and 29" versions), I have the 26er from last year and love it.... the new 29er version is getting very good reviews....