mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Protection plate is undoing from the chain stay

My 2009 S-Works Carbon Hardtail has a small steel protection plate sitting on the right chain stay behind the crank. It partly came loose and bent into the chain and crank during a race giving a terrible noise. I bent it back on the fly, but today it is not properly fixed oo the chain stay and will not give safe protection for the carbon frame in case the chain should come loose again.The plate is now strongly deformed and torn and I do not like to glue the bad part back on the chain stay. I want to remove it and put on a new smooth plate.

Is this plate supplied as a spare part or do I have have to make some home brew fix? The plate is made of stainless steel and is approximately 0.2 mm (8 mills) thick.

mtbr member
    Chuck it and wrap the chainstay with an old inner tube and electrical tape. It'll protect the carbon and quiet any chain slap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i like the protection afforded by the steel plate and had a similar thing happen.

what i did was to use a ball peen hammer and pliers to bend the metal back to shape, cleaned it and the surface it came from and ensured they were free from residue, then double sided taped the guard back in place.

I have done this on more than one bike and it held up fine so far!