mtbr member

Problems w/ Reba on new SJ 29er

Got my 2011 SJ FSR 29er Expert last Friday. First ride was a moderate 1 hour. By the end of the ride the fork was compressed to where only about 15mm of stanchion was exposed. I let the air out of both chambers and then refilled.

It seemed fine for a couple of rides, but then today the fork became too firm. AND the positive air chamber had lost 40psi. Weird.

I reset the chambers again. It was still too firm. Then I came back to it about 30 minutes later. The fork felt plush again but I noticed the left fork seal had dislodged and was halfway up the stanchion.

Needless to say I'm going to see if Specialized will replace the fork.

Anyone else have these issues with a Reba? I hate to say it but I really wish Spesh would put a Fox on a $3800 mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    25 hard miles on mine with no problems. I'll bet they replace it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    you have a leaking internal seal. Should be fixable by a knowledgable LBS mechanic with the proper sized 0-ring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix
    you have a leaking internal seal. Should be fixable by a knowledgable LBS mechanic with the proper sized 0-ring.
    What he said.

Reba is a fantastically reliable, plush and tunable fork.

Does Fox even make a 140mm 29er fork? Didn't think so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    Reba is a fantastically reliable, plush and tunable fork.

Does Fox even make a 140mm 29er fork? Didn't think so.
    The first Reba I had was on a Specialize SJ hardtail last year. After about 3 months of riding it completely locked up. My second Reba is on my Epic 29er and is doing OK. This is my 3rd Reaba, so I'm 1 for 3. I've had about 15 fox forks over my 20 year mountain bike career and had nothing but reliability.

I know Fox doesn't make a 130mm 29er fork (yet), but considering all the custom shocks they have made for specialized over the years adding 10mm to their F120 29er shouldn't be a big deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Strange. I'm a 240 lb. Clyde who has owned three Reba 29er forks with no issues at all. Like the OP, I would have liked a Fox on my new FSR Expert, but my experience with the Reba line has been great.

FWIW, my wife has had four Fox forks on two bikes and all of them suffered from leaky seals, although the forks all functioned well.

Anyhow, it sucks that your new fork is a bad one
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member

Now problem w/ Brain Fade knob

Now the brain fade knob won't stop turning. It's stuck in one of the less firm settings. Crazy! I haven't even ridden the bike hard yet!

mtbr member
    I think you're just having terrible luck. I have heard of the Reba's locking up but I haven't experienced it.

Good thing it's all still under warranty. Sucks to miss riding but I hope you get everything working to your satisfaction soon!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have the same problem as described with the Reba fork on my Stumpy 29 (2011 model as well). The bike shop where i bought have tried to fix it two with no luck. Now they have sendt to Rock Shox hopefully it will make the difference!

The Reba fork on my previous bike worked like a charm for at least the 3 years i had it.