mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Problem with Specialized Marathon 29'

I have a problem wit my new bike. Last weekend during a race I heart a noise like if the rotor of the rear brake was rubbing the brakepads.

After the race I noticed the brake was aligned properly but the paint below the disc mount was gone

It appears that the space between disc mount and rotor is too small so when you ride the bike in rough terrain the rotor will rub the disc mount.

This is what it looks like

Space between disc mount and rotor

I have the roval carbon wheels.

Anybody seen this before?

mtbr member

There isn't much clearance between the brake rotor and frame in that picture. There is some though. On a hardtail frame a gap of a few millimetres still ought to be enough to not have the brake rotor touch the frame whilst riding.

If you look at the frame dropout there are some wear marks on the side of the dropout, where it appears that the hub has been shifting in the frame dropouts.

If the hub has been shifting that's a sign that it either isn't seating properly, or isn't clamped tightly enough to hold it in place.

When tightening the hub, try pushing down on the saddle at the same time to make sure the hub is seated fully in the dropouts. The skewer needs to be as tight as you can get it also. Switching to an allen key skewer instead of the quick release skewer should help too, as you can tighten them down more.

Wiggle | Halo Hex Key Skewers - Pair | Quick Release Skewers

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The wheel was clamped tightly enough that is for sure. Specialized Netherlands asked my bikeshop to return the bike to them so they can examine my bike.

Yesterday I rode the Kellerwald Marathon in Germany and ended up with a (paint) crack below the seatpost clamp

mtbr member

Another thing to consider that could cause this, besides the frame being faulty, would be the hub spacing. Have you tried a different rear wheel in the frame to see if that changes anything? If incorrect hub spacing means the Roval hub is coming too far across towards the brake caliper mounts (wrong hub endcaps fitted from new perhaps? ) that could possibly cause the issue too. Putting a different rear wheel in the frame as a test would eliminate that possibility.

That gap between the frame and rotor is very small though. If you were to use a thicker two piece brake rotor (eg: Hope floating rotor) it looks like the wheel wouldn't be able to turn at all.

Does it sound like Specialized will warranty the frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think the frame will be replaced under warranty. I haven't tried another wheel yet. Salesman of the shop told me that they did have another frame in the past with the same problem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Frame has been replaced under warranty. The new one got damaged the same way as the fist one during the second ride. Somebody else I know from a dutch mountainbike forum has the same problem. Looks like Specialized has made a design error with the new carbon roval wheels.

wretch

That area where the mount bots to the frame if over torqued can chip the paint just like what is pictured. There do however seem to be some rub marks as well...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Specialized is offering me a new S-works frame at no additional cost. I am not sure if this will solve the problem in the long term but I am happy with the way they are dealing with my problem.

Big Damn Hero
    This is a little disconcerting to me as I'm picking up my Epic Marathon tomorrow. I'm coming off of a 2013 Scalpel Carbon 1 which had significant issues (crank, wheels, frame and brakes) so the shop is switching the Scalpel out for the Epic... sure hope I don't experience these same issues.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Last week I returned the S-works frame to my dealer. Just like with the marathon frames there are paint cracks below the seatpost clamp. I will again get a new frame under warranty. Only problem is that Specialized has changed the sizes of the new frames and the largest carbon frame is too small for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Last weekend during a race a spoke nipple of my front Roval Control Carbon wheel broke.

Does anybody know if the nipples are made of brass or aluminium?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by faxe View Post
    Does anybody know if the nipples are made of brass or aluminium?
    Aluminum nipples. I have two sets of the same wheels. Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like corrosion (galvanic) between the aluminum and carbon. There is quite a few threads and talk about this problem on MTBR, and not just Roval wheels, I have read one thread with Roval Joe from Specialized and there is a thread about Enve carbon rims too. I think there is also one with Light Bicycle rims. It really doesn't matter which rim, The way I understood it to be, was a carbon and aluminum problem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Got a call from the bikeshop today. Most nipples of the wheel are corroded and can't be used anymore to fix the wheel. All nipples will be replaced by brass niples.