Pedal Power
    Aug 2006

Pro worth $900 over the Expert?

I'm looking at getting back into mountain biking after a little over a year being out of the scene (after living in Kansas for that time) But I'm back in the mountains, and Specialized has some awesome new SJ's for 08. Is the Pro really worth $900 more for the components it has over the Expert? I've never used Magura brakes, nor have I don't any research on them, but I'm assuming that they "might" be better than the Avid's

Bike #1 '08 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Bike #2 '08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert

Carbon handlebar Vs. 2014 butted alloy
    Magura Marta Hydraulic brakes Vs. Avid Ultimate 7 Hydraulic
    Shimano M770 XT front derailleur Vs. Shimano M581 LX
    Sram X-0 Carbon shift levers Vs. Sram X-9 Aluminum
    Shimano M760 XT cassette freewheel Vs. Shimano HG-50
    New Shimano M-770 XT crankset Vs. Shimano M762 XT
    New Shimano M770 XT bottom bracket Vs. Shimano M762 XT
    DT Swiss XR 4.2D rims Vs. DT Swiss custom for Specialized X420
    DT Swiss custom for Specialized w/ Star Rachet alloy freehub w/ DT RWS 10mm alloy QR, 32h Vs. DT Swiss custom for Specialized 370 with DT RWS QR, 32h
    DT Swiss Super Comp 2.0/1.7/1.8 stainless, alloy nipples spokes Vs. DT Swiss Competition 1.8/1.6mm
    Specialized Phenom, Titanium rails saddle Vs. Specialized XC MTB, hollow Cr-Mo rails, SL foam
    Thomson straight w/ 12 degree clamp seat post Vs. 2017 butted alloy, two bolt non-setback

mtbr member
    Very, very tough call. I have an 07 Elite and I am looking to replace the seatpost and stem with Thomson stuff (maybe Hope stem, but don't know yet) and I've replaced the stock saddle already with a Phenom Gel. Also, I didn't keep the stock wheels as I had clearance 06 Crossmax SL wheels on their way. I am also looking to go for a carbon bar, but it might be a hi-rise. I really like the Avid brakes, and the only weird failure I've personally witnessed with hydraulic brakes has been with that Magura model (the lever wouldn't release/return quickly as if the piston had bleed-by in the MC or something).

The wheels seem to be a lot nicer across the line, but the ones on the Pro look really nice. I bet I would go for the Pro for the wheels, saddle, bar, and seat post as one can spend a great deal on all that stuff already. If you're good at selling take-off parts, then I would get the cheaper one and replace as needed or desired.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    So the wise thing to do would probably just go with the Pro, the only problem I can see with it maybe is the brakes which thats only one thing that I'd have to switch out rather than a bunch of things. I hear good and I hear bad things about the Magura Martas, so maybe I might like them.

mtbr member
    id def. go for the pro. like SD did, i upgraded a lot of stuff on my expert that would have made more sense to get the pro (wheels, seat, stem, bars, ect...). if you can afford it, go pro, def. a better bang for buck

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i tried an epic marathon with magura martas, they felt nice and they're super light

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    Ok, I know I'm going a little extreme here, but I feel that if I like a hobby enough which I do love mountain biking a great deal. I would be more than happy to spend a lot of money on something to satisfy myself. The Pro Carbon for the few things it offers over the Pro Alu is it worth that hefty $1000 extra? I know I won't be able to tell myself till I actually test ride one. The Pro Carbon not only has the amazing carbon frame, it also has the Brain Future Shock Fork rather than the standard 120mm Fox fork without the Brain capability. It also has the Marta SL brakes rather than the Martas with SL rotors. Yes it's getting up there with a hefty price tag, I guess what I'm asking is that price worth it for a tad lighter bike with a totally different fork design?