Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Price check on NOS S-works HT

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  fireroad 
#1 ·
I'm hoping you folks can help me out on what kind of offer to make on a "new old stock" 08 s-works HT. I was on a business trip last week and stoped at the LBS to pick up a few things. They had a rack on the back wall with all the high end frames. Tucked in the back corner was a very dusty 08 S-works HT frame. They said it was brand new but was buried in the back of a very cluttered storeroom until recently. It has full warranty. Original price was $1650 and they have it marked down to $1300, but they were not shy about wanting to get rid of it and are accepting any reasonable offer.

I don't need a new frame, but have always wanted a carbon Stumpy. My current stumpy is a heavily upgraded 04 and I believe I can just transfer everything to the new frame. So...what would be a reasonable offer? The highest I would be willing to go is $900. What components do I need to be careful about (besides stem length on the fork)? Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
I was going to say $850 before reading your $900 comment.

Its now 4-5 year old carbon technology, which there have been big strides in carbon frame production over the last few years. I know if I had been looking for a carbon hardtail in 2007/2008 at my weight (around 225#) that every shop would tell me to get aluminum. Now the current high mid carbon frames are stout enough for a guy my size.

I'd honestly think that one of the current $600 carbon chinese hardtails off e-bay will be cmoparable in quality to a carbon frame that was potentially built in 2007 as a 2008 model, just saying.....

#4 ·
I'm very happy with how my 08 S-Works stumpy has held up. So I believe that the carbon is very good. I just think a lot of people were afraid of Carbon back in 07-08 and it got a bad rap.

$800-900 would be ok with a new warranty. If I'm not mistaken, the 08-09 S-Works only fits a specialized F120 fork. I have an extra as a back up...PM me if interested.

#6 ·
Madsedan - I'm 225 as well and the LBS did not seem to think that was a problem. Plus, since it's warrantied if my fat arse cracks it I get a new one. Four year old technology does not bother me (I just ride for fun) as the the frame is made from FACT 10m, which was used until 2010 and has only been replaced by the 11M. As far as I can tell the frames have mostly just gotten lighter by a 100 grams or so. I would love the 201 S-Works HT 29er frame, but they are almost 2 grand used. If I can get this for $800 it would be a steal :thumbsup:

crimecrusher - PM sent on your fork. In 08 they built the S-Works HT on the Fox F90X, so I am assuming any 1 1/8 non tapered 90mm fork (like my 09 SID Race) would work. I will call Spesh to confirm. Any complaints about your bike? What's your setup?

#7 ·
crimecrusher - PM sent on your fork. In 08 they built the S-Works HT on the Fox F90X, so I am assuming any 1 1/8 non tapered 90mm fork (like my 09 SID Race) would work. I will call Spesh to confirm. Any complaints about your bike? What's your setup?
Actually the fork I have is a new take off from a 2008 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR. The fork is:

Specialized Future Shock S120, 120mm travel, carbon 1 1/8 to 1.5" steerer, Trail Tune inertia valve, adjustable Brain Fade and rebound, piggyback one sided air spring and damper

I have one on my bike that is used and this like new take off in the box. This fork fits my SW stumpy and my wifes SW safire...so I've kept it around. I'll respond to your PM.

#8 · (Edited)
Got your PM. You are correct, the Stumpy HT does not use the tapered tube so the FSR fork won't work. Shame, it sounds like a nice fork...althought the yearly "brain" maintenance sounds like a hassle :madman:

UPDATE: Called Spesh and talked to Bob the technician. He said my Sid Race 90 will work as long as the steerer tube is long enough. He didn't have the exact measurement but said figure on 5.5 inches plus spacers plus stem. The frame is rated for up to a 240lb rider, but they are tested much higher...either way I am good. The carbon used in the frame is the 2nd highest quality carbon they utilized and is still considered new technology. All my existing components will work except for the front derauiler....I will need to get a bottom swing XT M771 or XTR M971. Frame does have the lifetime replacement warranty against manufacturer defects. Time to make an offer ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.