Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    240

    Powdercoat Void Specialized Warranty? (JakeWake?)

    I want to powdercoat my '05 S-Works Enduro but I am afraid that will void my warranty. My question is does having my frame powdercoated by an outfit like Spectrum Powderworks void the warranty even though they are well aware of how to prep and finish an aluminum alloy bicycle frame without causing any damage such as annealing or sand-blasting away material etc?

    I'd really like to freshen up the bike but I would not do it if my warranty goes out the window. Thanks for any info anyone might have!

  2. #2
    Are you talking to me?
    Reputation: damion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,884

    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by punkassean
    I want to powdercoat my '05 S-Works Enduro but I am afraid that will void my warranty. My question is does having my frame powdercoated by an outfit like Spectrum Powderworks void the warranty even though they are well aware of how to prep and finish an aluminum alloy bicycle frame without causing any damage such as annealing or sand-blasting away material etc?

    I'd really like to freshen up the bike but I would not do it if my warranty goes out the window. Thanks for any info anyone might have!

    Any repairs/painting/sanding that are not performed by Specialized or an authorized Specialized dealer will result in the warranty being voided.
    gfy

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Any repairs/painting/sanding that are not performed by Specialized or an authorized Specialized dealer will result in the warranty being voided.
    that's what I figured but I was specifically asking if by some chance maybe Spectrum could do the work and with some sort of paperwork maybe Specialized would honor the warranty.

  4. #4
    Are you talking to me?
    Reputation: damion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,884

    Not likely.

    Quote Originally Posted by punkassean
    that's what I figured but I was specifically asking if by some chance maybe Spectrum could do the work and with some sort of paperwork maybe Specialized would honor the warranty.
    YOur best bet is to call Specialized directly. If they say it is ok, get it in writing.
    gfy

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34

    customer service

    Call Specialized customer service. The only company authorized through Specialized to paint the bikes without losing your warranty is a company called Class Act in Portland. They don't have a website, but I am sure you can find their number in the yellow pages.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by crashley
    Call Specialized customer service. The only company authorized through Specialized to paint the bikes without losing your warranty is a company called Class Act in Portland. They don't have a website, but I am sure you can find their number in the yellow pages.

    Great, that's exactly the info I'm looking for. I will call S and verify before going ahead. Thanks for the tip.

    BTW: Is Class Act who does S team rider's frames such as Bearclaws powder blue enduro? That's the color I've wanted to do since before I saw his at crankworks. It'd be really cool if I could get factory graphics on there as well.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by punkassean
    Great, that's exactly the info I'm looking for. I will call S and verify before going ahead. Thanks for the tip.

    BTW: Is Class Act who does S team rider's frames such as Bearclaws powder blue enduro? That's the color I've wanted to do since before I saw his at crankworks. It'd be really cool if I could get factory graphics on there as well.


    Class Act only does powdercoating now, and I am pretty sure (not positive) that they do the team bikes. They are the only place you can get factory graphics, but they don't have all of the options. The decals are pretty limited depending on what year your bike is, but they will be the only way you can get official Specialized decals on your bike after having it repainted.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •