mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Positioning on '08 Stumpjumper?

A buddy of mine just picked up a new Stumpjumper, and my first impression is that the positioning feels strange, almost like it is too upright or the bars sit too high. For comparison, I ride an Enduro SL and the Stumpy feels more upright when riding the two back to back. We're both the same size and both frames are size L. As another comparison, I'm in much more of an "attack" position when comparing my cross-country bike to his Stumpy.

Do any of you Stumpy owners feel the same way? Have you switched to lower rise stems or bars as a result?

mtbr member
    My 07 feels just as you are discribed. I like the feel of it and use it for trail and endurance races. The stumpy has trail geometry, not race geometry. I love mine.

Brian

ride ride ride
    Apr 2008
    It may be because the stumpy is just a tad (about an inch) shorter from the seat tube to the head tube, so (all things being equal) you may feel just a tad more cramped, and upright as a result. Of course that difference can be magnified or compensated for by stem length, seat setback, etc.

The 08 stumpy has a pretty long wheelbase and the 'extra' length is all in the back. I love mine but would like to be able to get my seat back further than it is. I'm maxed out with seat setback unfortunately, and I don't want a longer stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have put a setback Thomson on it, and my seat is also quite far back. I also have placed a shorter stem on it. This feels really great. If you look to the 2009 models, they now have a setback seat post, so the straight one is probably not really good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I went from an '07 Medium FSR xc to a medium '08 Stumpy and I have to say, when I test rode it I felt very upright and a little cramped. I had my old bike next to the stumpy and the handlebars were at least one, if not two inches higher than the xc. That being said, when I rode the FSR xc I found myself with straight arms at times, so maybe the reach was just a little long for me. After a few rides on the stumpy, though, I got used to the (maybe shorter top tube?) positioning and now feel very comfortable on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I went with an Easton EA70 setback post. The seat is postioned forward on the post, but it is still farther back than the stock post w/seat all the way back. This is an excellent fit for me at 5'10" on a medium frame, stock stem at 8 degree up w/EC70 low-rise bar.

mtbr member

??????

My 08 feels great? I came off a 03 Enduro, and it is more upright, but I like it.
    Mine came with a setback, as in not straight up. Does yours look like mine?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brentster
    Jun 2007
    That's why I can't imagine riding anything than my Epic. I've never ridden a Stumpjumper but I did take a Giant Trance out during a Demo Day. It felt like I was driving a bus. After 5 minutes, I gave it back.

ride ride ride
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LititzDude
    My 08 feels great? I came off a 03 Enduro, and it is more upright, but I like it.
    Mine came with a setback, as in not straight up. Does yours look like mine?
    Yeah, mine has that setback post too. They changed mid-stream in the model year from straight to setback presumably because they realized that the cockpit was too cramped on average. I'd love to scoot back another inch. Unfortunately, super-setback posts don't come in 30.9 mm.