inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

porosity/bad welds

I was taking a look at some of Specialized's new bikes. My own bike is getting a little old. I tried out the new enduro, both a comp and a carbon.

When I took a look at the welds on the comp, some of them looked like they had porosity on them and that maybe the painter tried to fill in with paint. I felt like if it got an ultrasound it would have been frightening. What's more is that it wasn't just one comp, there were 4 that looked like they had bad welds.

I had to wonder if it was really dangerous or not. I mean really, I'm an amateur at welding-but it looked bad. Very little consistency. I wouldn't let welds like that leave with my name on it. The guy at the shop I pointed it out to didn't know anything about welding, so I pointed out how nice I thought welds on one of the Intense frames looked and how good the tie-ins were on the clam shell design; and how it was consistent. Any word on this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Re: porosity/bad welds

Spec welds are machine grade fabulous. There is a lifetime warranty if the weld fails, porosity on top doesn't mean failure.

I sure wouldn't own a bike with ugly welds, but I'm sure your eye is tricking you.

Pics?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    'Porosity on top' doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering it was continuous indicating lack of atmosphere for a portion of the weld rather than just holding the torch a little too long at the end. It's good to hear their warranty on welds is lifetime.

I'll try to get some pictures, but I don't know how I'd like that if I owned a shop. Beside that, I wouldn't be so sure about my eyes being fooled. When a weld gets wide and flat and then becomes thin and tall it seems like the arc length is not continuous.

It seems many alu bikes are reliable and somewhat over built considering people seem to throw them out yearly anyway. Where can I find information about what kinds of companies run when doing quality control on their bikes?